+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/16 sanitation solutions

Default 3/16 sanitation solutions

Planning on flushing/instilling a Calcium hypochlorite solution to sanitize my 3/16 tubing system. Does anyone have any guidance as to what concentration of solution to use? I have the simple small packets of pool chlorine.
    1990's: Dad ran a buckets and cinder block evaporator, dragged us kids along.
    2020: 35 buckets over a cinder block evaporator
    2021: Smoky Lake Dauntless with a divided pan. 45 taps on 3/16 tubing and another 45 buckets. Set up in a Lean-to off the side of the shed

I think they have been using 400 ppm or something like 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.
    2010 buckets 12 taps
    Retired as Bovine veterinarian
    Doing maple for the grandson?
    Few more each year
    2015- SL 2x4 hybrid 100 taps
    2019- homemade RO- 150 taps
    2020- 190 taps all 3/16 gravity
    2021-210 taps understanding wife
    2022-12x12 sugarhouse-SL raised flue pans, 250 taps-enough!

Hey… if it works…
    I used some expired IV tubing and solution from the local department training supply, and used a harbor freight hand pump to fill the bag via an opening cut in the top. 2441ABA9-0E92-48CB-8693-37CC7AC42311.jpgC0A52684-0D99-4F61-BB6A-B01A1C67F60E.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1990's: Dad ran a buckets and cinder block evaporator, dragged us kids along.
    2020: 35 buckets over a cinder block evaporator
    2021: Smoky Lake Dauntless with a divided pan. 45 taps on 3/16 tubing and another 45 buckets. Set up in a Lean-to off the side of the shed

Now that's something I never saw before. An iv bag hooked up to a tree. It must have been feeling under the weather.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 11-06-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Future Generations University received a grant to research 3/16 tubing cleaning issues, I’ve turned over a woods that the tubing has been used 4 years now, there plan is one line no cleaning, one 4 year old line cleaned using the method and chemicals that Art Kruger used! And one line with everything brand new! Should be some good info backed up by numbers probably by the middle of April 2022
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Mark, is this all experiment all vacuum provided by gravity? Will there be any with vacuum assisted by a pump? I wonder if the sanitation would be better if a pump would add to the vacuum provided by gravity in that at the end of a run, the laterals would have more sap removed and less sap available to be taken back by the tree.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    Future Generations University received a grant to research 3/16 tubing cleaning issues, I’ve turned over a woods that the tubing has been used 4 years now, there plan is one line no cleaning, one 4 year old line cleaned using the method and chemicals that Art Kruger used! And one line with everything brand new! Should be some good info backed up by numbers probably by the middle of April 2022
    Mark 220 Maple
    Good to hear FGU will be doing this work. It should extend the findings of prior work into the southern production areas of maple.

If you want more info on cleaning 3/16" tubing before 2022, you can see some of the results that UVM PMRC and Cornell have found at:

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/tubingsani2020/
    https://mapleresearch.org/pub/1219tubing-2/
    https://www.themaplenews.com/story/5...ar-winner/368/

There are other papers out there also, but I don't have links to them at hand. They all pretty much say the same thing: new is best, sanitation is required, replacement strategies used in 5/16" tubing are not entirely adequate (due to the added clogging issues in 3/16" tubing).

Interesting that people seem to think and refer to it as the "Art Kruger" method. The use of calcium hypochlorite in maple tubing was actually developed at UVM PMRC back around 2012 and then tested for many years as a means to reduce animal damage found when using normal bleach (sodium hypochlorite). Art was an early adopter of 3/16" tubing, so hit the issues of clogging/sanitation earlier than most others. He heard about UVM testing of calcium hypochlorite in talking to Dr. Abby van den Berg (UVM PMRC) and ran with it with great success. What didn't transfer as well is that NOT ALL CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE IS FOOD-GRADE. It is up to maple producers to ensure that what they are using is suitable.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Minehart Gap Maple
    All natural vacuum test
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Quote Originally Posted by gbeneke View Post
    I think they have been using 400 ppm or something like 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.
    Is the 1/4 tsp per gallon the 68% calcium hypochlorite granular/powder?
    Or is the Ca-hypochlorite some other concentration/form?
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    What didn't transfer as well is that NOT ALL CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE IS FOOD-GRADE. It is up to maple producers to ensure that what they are using is suitable.
    Is there a simple way to tell if your calcium Hypochloride is food grade?
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast