+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spotted lanternfly

Default Spotted lanternfly

I was wondering what level of concern for our sugar woods should we have with this pest spreading rapidly across the U.S.? With taps just drying off as the first life cycle emerges the will the maple tree be a perfect host to this? Anybody have any experience with pest?
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

I don't have any experience with the exception that I have seen them. That said, I understand that they are sap suckeres for there food, they originated in the US in the Port at Philadelphia and that they are attracted to the ailanthus tree. The government is fearful that they will attack fruit trees, grape vines and maple trees. The farm that I was on that the fly was plentiful on was in Lancaster County, PA and beside an apple orchard and with sugar maples lining the driveway. At that time that I was there (July) the fly was only on the ailanthus. I think that the maple may be fine because the sap runs in the cambium layer when the temperatures are above/below freezing and before the fly emerges. I don't think that the fly can burrow very deep and I don't think that the sap flows on the outside when the fly is out but may be wrong in both cases. I'm hoping that Doc Tim and some other researchers weigh in on this with some facts that they are finding.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I am an arborist in Massachusetts and have been for the past 20 yrs. The first thing to note is that the spotted lantern fly does not burrow in they have a long needle like insertion tool that pierces in at a microscopic level accessing the phloem and xylem. This is similar to aphids and other insects with piercing sucking mouth parts. The insect is native to China and likely came in on stone goods that were shipped to Pennsylvania. Do not think of the sap flow as you would for sugaring. The 'sap/sugars' that the lantern fly is after will be present in the trees throughout the year and it is more about when is the fly in the adult stage and working the trees.

When we first started talking about this fly there was not much concern as we really thought that the only favored species was going to be the Ailanthus tree and although all trees are important it was a really who cares. We now know better and know that they can attack a wide variety of trees and will spend some of their nymph time in the under story working shrubs and perennials. Particularly in the vineyards there is a real concern. They are finding lower quality grapes when these pests have been feeding related to the sugars being removed. What they do not have a good handle on is how much damage to the tree stems is being done on hardwood trees. We know there is injury but how much cankering and injury to hardwoods is not known. The copious amounts of honeydew is the real concern at this time as this can disrupt photosynthesis and in , general make a real mess.
    Whats the risk? Really who knows. I can tell you that this insect has the attention of the USFS and there are control efforts underway. At this time this involves trap trees and pesticide apps to trees. There has also been some focus on herbicide applications to Athlanthus. If you remember the Asian Longhorn Beetle was a real concern for sugar makers and still is to some extent. The big difference here is wood borer vs sap feeder and the SLF can lay its eggs on any surface including trees, tires, sign posts etc. This is how it is being moved around and a real concern. We certainly need to do our research and know what to be looking for including the egg masses. I am sure a sugar maker in Penn. can weigh in on this.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

I have heard a local rumor that the USDA is experimenting with not killing male (not seed producing) ailanthus and when an infestation of spotted lantern fly is present, they will inject a volume of pesticide into the tree. I have not heard any results, only heard about the practice. Have you heard or seen this yet?

As far as seeing problems in PA from the spotted lantern fly, I am in the center of the state and there is a known presence of the fly in this area but not the amount closer to Philadelphia. I occasionally see them but only on or around ailanthus. I have been keeping a close watch on my sugar bush and have eradicated the ailanthus (except one female that just will not die) from my property but it is present along with the lantern fly on neighboring properties. I'm not seeing them land on any maple when I have been there or the part of the tree that I can see. I'm hoping that they skip right over the maples, kill all of the ailanthus and go away.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 10-31-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

You are correct. This is the trap tree method. They are typically using a systemic bark applied insecticide to accomplish the kill on the trap trees that are left. This has been successful however there is so much Ailanthus in hard to reach areas it is a challenge. As you know, the dominant tree along railroad tracks etc. is Ailanthus providing a good opportunity for movement. They are getting aggressive with eradication of the tree using the aptly named hack and squirt method. This involves a hatchet to four sides peeling back the cambial layer followed by a herbicide application at the wounding sites. A good number of licensed applicators have made a good amount of money on these contracts in Penn.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

+ Reply to Thread