+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: GE Merlin RO for sap???

Default GE Merlin RO for sap???

I've been reading the specs on the new GE Merlin RO thinking it would be pretty good for sap ... and very inexpensive.

At less than $ 400 on the net the specs are

- 1/2 to 1 gpm permeate at 77 degrees and 40 to 80 PSI feed pressure YES PER MINUTE

-at 40 degrees F and 80 psi the permeate flow is 0.7 gpm

If that stands with sap you could get rid of 0.7gph x 60min x 24hrs = 1008 gallons every 24 hours.
    That sure would make a huge dint in the boil time for a small operation.

I have not yet got a price for a pump / regulator that would put out 80 psi but I think you'd have a lot of change left from $ 1000
    for the whole system.

Here's a link to the GE Web site where you can check the details, including a full User's Manual
    http://www.gewater.com/residential/home/merlin.jsp

And at $ 100 for a new membrane it wouldn't break the bank if it only lasted one season.
    (Edit: just reading the manual ... it takes 2 membranes. ) The factory claims a 3 year average life for the membrane.
    Surely it would last us 10 - 15 days on sap eh! ( Canadian )

Does this look like it's worth a try ??

Anyone got a lead on where to get a pump that will give 4 GPM at 80psi.
    Last edited by Brent; 01-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Pretty interesting, I wish someone would actually try out some of these things instead of just talking about them for the past several years. I don't mean any offense to you Brent or anyone else, but for about as long as the trader has been in existence, this subject has been brought up, but no one ever seems to try one.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

jemsklein Guest

do you know why i will tell you give me the mony and i will try it
    i would try it if i had a $1000 to play with

I am no expert on Ro's. Howevere when I talk to local water treatment experts and to local plumbers about how we use RO's they just scratch there heads. They way I understand it is that most household RO's don't have a discharge on them other than the drinking water discharge or what we would refere to as purge. What we look for would be the waste water (so to speak) that would come off a household RO. But on the household sized RO's the waste is kept in the membrane. AS I said I am no expert and am not sure if I am corect in this, but is the way I understand it.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

The little baby one we have been using for 3 years only gives us 8 gallons of permeate at day. We're still on our first membrane with a well water source.

Both it and the Merlin have a condensate line that would normally go down the drain. For sap this will be saved.

Other than the lower limit of 40 degrees, I see no reason (yet) why it would not work.

Like royalmaple said in another post on this subject is will the membranes pass sugar? Maple RO's use nano filters and some of those will pass alittle sugar. It would be a shame to spend the money to get one of these and find out that it passes sugar and the correct membranes cant be had. The nano membranes only come in 4"x40" and 8"x60" sizes from what I have researched so far.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple producing world!

Algier 2x6 evaporator, W F Mason arch
    Lapierre 250 Turbo RO machine
    SP-22 vacuum pump
    1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    1971 IH 454 52hp diesel tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    About a dozen chainsaws and no chickens

I think you will find that those membranes in the household units will be "loose" and not filter at the nano level. I'm not sure, but that is my initial thought. I haven't seen the membranes on these units but if they don't look like they are solid fiberglass then chance is that they are not going to filter out the sugar enough. Might though, just guessing. Very important point to clarify with the manufacturer.

Just give me till after the summer and full line of Royal Flush Ro's (TM)will be on the market, catering to the small producer.

Default I want one

Matt- Put one on the Farm plan for me. I got about $8.00 down and the rest will follow over the next 20 years.Maybe I can get an RO and take my kids to the dentist.Seriously touugh a reasonabally priced small unit would sell. Good Luck Royal flush is a great name.-SS
    2x6 raised . more taps to come in o9 1 brown dog AKA GREAT FOAMY

Matt
    the GE specs says 99% TDS rejection when the pressure is at maximum, ie at 80 psi. It doesn't say 99% sugars excepted.

In any case if it does pass some sugars and ends up being deemed useless for sap, I would replace the 8 Gallon Per Day unit we use in the kitchen today and only be disappointed, not out of pocket the whole cost for nothing.

I seriously doubt there is a "special" membrane for syrup RO units, but life is full of surprises.

I think I'm going to give it a try. First reports should appear here about mid March.

Brent,

I think it would be awesome if you give it a try. Since you already use one in your house, you would have a spare if it didn't work. It would put this subject to rest or cause it to blow wide open if it actually works.

My question would be how you would clean the membrane at the end of the day to get out the bacteria and other foreign substances that the sugr RO's have built into their system to wash and backflush at the end of the day.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast