+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My first 3/16 tubing run!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    This is true and should be anyone's goal, but circumstances often dictate other options and side ties are an option.
    In lieu of or in combination with side ties, you can just do small turns on saplings periodically. This works well especially in places where crop trees are spread far apart. Don't go completely around, but just touch them/rest the line on them periodically. The friction (especially with non-rigid tubing) is enough to hold them in place.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

good tip Dr. Tim.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Thanks for the tips.

With the snow and ice off the lines, the vast majority of the lines look tight.

Fortunately when I did install them, and when I did have a long unsupported run, I made a slight diversion, so they did touch saplings for extra friction support.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

So to jump way ahead, I thought came into my head today. When you use buckets, near the end of the season you will notice a change in the sap and at worst you throw out the one bucket with bud sap.

Now with lines as you get close to the end of the season, do you pull the taps out early or what do you with a large container of sap that has half good sap and half bud sap?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234