+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first 3/16 tubing run!

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    How much calcium hypochlorite per gallon should I use? After soaking it for three days, do you have to flush it, and if so, can you do it in a tank of fresh water and let it sit in it for three days? Thanks.
    Depends on the strength, but it doesn't take much. Probably a teaspoon full per gallon will be more than enough. I think I would flush it, but I would just get some water to flow through it and not worry about a complete flush.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I didn’t take any pictures, but I bet I had 3” circumference of ice and snow around the lines. I walked all of the lines and removed the ice and snow. Some were pretty weighted down by them. I am not sure if that is normal or not.

I did not see any damage to the lines, which was a good thing.

One question, when you start tapping and installing the drops and let’s say the sap is running when you do it, will the sap go at such a pace, that as you install the drops, you would witness any stalling of the sap in areas where there is not enough slope?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

The lines will not fill up that quickly as the vacuum probably won't start until the whole line is filled. If your lines are weighted down means they are sagging with the ice, then I would tighten them up just before you put the drops in so the drops stay where you want them in relation to the trees. Tighten the line on a warm day (you've got some time to wait yet) and remember, the tubing is strong, so pull it. When a colder day comes, it will tighten up even more. Tighter equals straighter equals easier for sap to flow.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Yes, when you're cutting them in is a good time to tighten the lines up. One good hint is to install all the drops on the uphill side initially, maybe 6-12" away from the tree stem (depending on how much tightening is needed). Then when you tighten the lines by pulling on them, always pull downhill, which will pull them closer to the stem all in one direction. You won't be able to tighten just at the end of the line, but occasionally all along the line. If pulling uphill makes more sense for your system, then install all the drops on the downhill side.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I tighten as I cut in also, but I like leaving my lines with a little give or slack if you want to call it that. I still want them tight and straight as possible, but I do this with side ties. That way when I have damage and I need to take out more than just a few inches I can untie the nearest side tie and get my needed tubing for a repair. I have a lot of squirrel damage and after I've cut out repeated chews I usually need some slack.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I installed my lines and drops in October. I first put up the lines pretty tight, then installed the drops, sometimes cutting out a short piece of line, just to make them a little tighter.

My plan is a week or so before I tap, I will do some side ties or use bungee cords.

Not having tapped before, I hope as I tap for the lines, I will see some sap flow. Most of my lines have a very good slope all of the way, but two of them have a long, lesser slopes in the middle of the run, and I figure I may have to play with them to ensure good flow.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

but two of them have a long, lesser slopes in the middle of the run, and I figure I may have to play with them to ensure good flow.
    Don't worry about it they will flow. The whole line acts like a siphon and even some pressure from the trees will make it flow just fine
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I installed my lines and drops in October. I first put up the lines pretty tight, then installed the drops, sometimes cutting out a short piece of line, just to make them a little tighter.

My plan is a week or so before I tap, I will do some side ties or use bungee cords.

Not having tapped before, I hope as I tap for the lines, I will see some sap flow. Most of my lines have a very good slope all of the way, but two of them have a long, lesser slopes in the middle of the run, and I figure I may have to play with them to ensure good flow.
    Properly put up 3/16 and 5/16 lines do not need any side ties to take at slack. Run your lines tight to begin with and as the line stretches over time, cut out a little to make it tight again. You will get better flow with a tight line keeping the sags minimal.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Properly put up 3/16 and 5/16 lines do not need any side ties to take at slack. Run your lines tight to begin with and as the line stretches over time, cut out a little to make it tight again. You will get better flow with a tight line keeping the sags minimal.
    This is true and should be anyone's goal, but circumstances often dictate other options and side ties are an option.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast