+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first 3/16 tubing run!

My friend picked up the roll of tubing for me and gave it to me this afternoon. It was 4° C (39° F) and drizzly, but I went out and strung the short 4 tap line and added the taps, then I rerouted the 5th line and ran it so it had the “crux” section at the bottom of the line. I eliminated two taps near the top because they caused the line to flatten out too much.

The fifth line is steep at first, but eventually has a 100 to 125’ run that is on a steady, but not real steep slope, with no taps, then starts to slope better again and then has a fairly steep uninterrupted run. It has 12 taps on it. I still think it will have the least vacuum of the runs, but should have some.

Tomorrow I will finish the drops and then the lines will be set for when the season starts.

So I have finished setting up all my lines and all of the drops. I have walked all of the 5 lines looking for any issues and everything looks good.

Just one question, if I put the tubing on 67 tees, 64 went on perfect. For three of them, on one side of the tee, the front edge of the tubing got bent in a little, but it is smooth and flat over the two barbs. Is this a none issue, or will this be an air leak for sure?

Thanks

Gary

It probably bent the tee also. I have that happen a few times a year and I just replace them to be sure. You can wait until sap is flowing and check then, but my feelings are change the now and save the potential problem.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I thought I read that ideally one would have 15 to 25 taps on 3/16” lines. None of my runs have that, they range 11 to 14, averaging 12 to 13 taps. I thought I might get some boost in the yield, but because I did not have at least 15, my expectations were low.

By accident I came across this study and they said they had excellent results with as few as 8 taps per line. If true, my expectations have risen a little.

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/u...ple-tubing/88/

It will be interesting for me to compare the results from the buckets, to three lines that have good slope all the way and two other lines that have good slope at the start and finish, but a flatter, but still sloped section in the middle, that represents a third of the run.

Is it March yet?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

swingpure, You will definitely see a difference. The first year will be a dramatic increase, then it'll taper off eaxh year. Cleaning is critical with 3/16th tubing. Even 5 trees are ok for a run. I usually replace my tubing every 3-5 years. I have established a rotation where I do one or two laterals a year.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    swingpure, You will definitely see a difference. The first year will be a dramatic increase, then it'll taper off eaxh year. Cleaning is critical with 3/16th tubing. Even 5 trees are ok for a run. I usually replace my tubing every 3-5 years. I have established a rotation where I do one or two laterals a year.
    Thank you!

I know there is a lot of information on the forum on how to clean the tubing and I will have to find a technique that works with little manpower. My other big challenge is I have to remove my tubing each year, so after it is cleaned, is to find a way to roll up the tubing with the drops attached, without them getting all tangled. I know I should replace the tees and taps each year, which will result in the lines getting a little shorter each time.

I do have a sixth line that only has four taps on a steep slope, which is draining into a collection barrel where another line also drains into. It might be interesting to have it go into a separate 16 gallon barrel on it’s own, just to measure and compare the volumes from the buckets.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 12-05-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    Thank you!

I know there is a lot of information on the forum on how to clean the tubing and I will have to find a technique that works with little manpower. My other big challenge is I have to remove my tubing each year, so after it is cleaned, is to find a way to roll up the tubing with the drops attached, without them getting all tangled. I know I should replace the tees and taps each year, which will result in the lines getting a little shorter each time.

I do have a sixth line that only has four taps on a steep slope, which is draining into a collection barrel where another line also drains into. It might be interesting to have it go into a separate 16 gallon barrel on it’s own, just to measure and compare the volumes from the buckets.
    When you pull taps pull the drop lines down along the lateral and zip tie it down. You could clen it by submerging it all in a tank of hypochloride solution for a day or two.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

When you pull taps pull the drop lines down along the lateral and zip tie it down. You could clen it by submerging it all in a tank of hypochloride solution for a day or two.
    Well that makes it a lot easier, thank you.

Should I replace the tees and spigots after I take it out of the solution or wait until I put them back up in the fall?
    Edit: I guess in the fall when I undo the zip ties.

Thanks for the tips, that solves a lot of problem.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Yes, wait until next fall and it's back up. That way you can make adjustments if taps don't line up.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

How much calcium hypochlorite per gallon should I use? After soaking it for three days, do you have to flush it, and if so, can you do it in a tank of fresh water and let it sit in it for three days? Thanks.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 12-06-2021 at 01:19 PM.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast