+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first 3/16 tubing run!

Default My first 3/16 tubing run!

I wasn’t going to run any lines for another 2 to 3 weeks until just before it snows, but it was just such a nice day.

I learnt a few lessons.

The roll of 3/16 tubing I was using, was the same roll I used to make my drops. I must have tangled up some of the tubing while making the drops, because after about 40 feet, the tubing was tangled and got more tangled as I tried to fix it. A half hour later I was on the go again.

The first lesson I learnt, other then for goodness sake, never tangle your tubing again, is if you are alone, don’t try to unroll the tubing and pull it tight at the same time. Just first unroll the line on the ground where you want it and then go back and pull it tight and secure it with the end hook. Then you can go back and add the drops.

Lesson two, don’t be afraid to use trees you are not tapping for support on long runs.

I had no problems with using the tension hooks or the one hand tool.

I remembered Dr. Perkins analogy about tobogganing down a hill. I finish with a decent slope. If it was a roof it would have been 3/12 pitch or 14°, not sure what slope that would be.

I did not break any records running it and I am glad I did it before the snow fell as there was some challenging walking areas.

https://youtu.be/Me6ae10PYbw

There's a tool for that too - tubing reel with hook. We hang it on the ML and pull the tubing off as we zig and zag up the hill Couldn't live without it.

https://bascommaple.com/collections/.../products/mtrl
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    There's a tool for that too - tubing reel with hook. We hang it on the ML and pull the tubing off as we zig and zag up the hill Couldn't live without it.

https://bascommaple.com/collections/.../products/mtrl
    I made 3 of these with a square piece of 1x12 screwed onto the bottom of a coffee can, shorth length of nylon rope and a swivel with a carabiner clipped through it. I can hang it on the mainline or a tree limb, or tie off the tubing at the top of the hill and carry it over the mountain. Definitely a necessity for running tubing whether store bought or home made.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

I woke up to some snow on the ground and slightly below freezing temperatures. The snow all disappeared by noon. I ran two more lines in the afternoon. No problems with the line tangling today, I was very careful on how it came off the roll and I just unrolled it where it should go and then came back and pulled it tight. I learnt how to use the tension hooks better.

I had hoped the 500’ roll would do both runs, but was coming up short on the second run. There was too long of a final run to the collection barrel. I then went back and changed the route and connected up 6 taps, that I was going to use buckets on. I lost four taps, but picked up two new ones with reroute.

I drilled holes in the collection barrels for the line to enter them. 11/64 drill bit seemed to be just right for the 3/16 line to fit tightly in the hole.

Two more lines to go.

I ran the final two of five lines today. I still have to install the drops on the fifth line. The roll of tubing came up 20’ short on the final line to reach my planned collection area (which is shared with another line), so I had to reroute the line to a new collection area. I do not have as long and as steep final run on the line, but the entire line is sloped. I doubt I will get as much natural vacuum with this line as the others, but it will have 12 taps collecting into one spot. Because it is an unplanned collection area, my collection container will only hold 16 gallons, but that should be good for most days and some other days I may have to dump it twice.

On the fourth line, I finally caught on with the one handed tool, when I was using the vise grips part of it, to hold it as a separate tool. Earlier I tended to still grip part of the longer handles. Being by myself I again first strung out the line with a little tension, then I came back and pulled it tight. I then walked back and distributed the drops, hanging them on the line, so that they were off the ground and handy to grab when you needed them.

I certainly was better on the fifth line versus the first line with using the tension hooks, one handed tool and even unrolling the line.

Other than a couple drops, I have no extra tubing left. Do I need tubing to make repairs to the line during the season?

Yes you will need line for repairs. I would recommend you buy a whole new roll and finish your run you were short on and then keep the rest for repairs, future drops and new lines in the future. There is no such thing as lines that never get damaged. A producer always needs to have tubing on hand. It does not go bad, just keep it out of the sun. May as well buy some repair couplers/spices and have on hand too and some extra tees and taps.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Yes you will need line for repairs. I would recommend you buy a whole new roll and finish your run you were short on and then keep the rest for repairs, future drops and new lines in the future. There is no such thing as lines that never get damaged. A producer always needs to have tubing on hand. It does not go bad, just keep it out of the sun. May as well buy some repair couplers/spices and have on hand too and some extra tees and taps.
    Thanks,

I did just that this morning, a friend was going by CDL and is picking me up 500’. I was thinking the exact same thing, I should do it right. I had held off installing any of the drops on the line, just in case I decided to do something different. It will also allow me to add one more tap a little higher up, which should give me 8 more feet of total drop.

I don’t think I have looked so forwarded to March, ever before!

Thank you for the advice.

Gary

I know I will not get any vacuum gains, but I have four taps that are close to a collection area. Anything wrong with running a line between the four taps and the collection barrel. The other choice is four buckets.

I get my new roll of line late tomorrow and hope to finish all of the lines Wednesday.

If they're close enough run the line from them all the way to the barrel. It's generally not a good idea to join two 3/16 laterals, especially low on the slope. The line with four is a seperate lateral. If your joining lines you need to go up to 5/16 from that point on. It's not worth compromising flow on a whole lateral for four taps.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    If they're close enough run the line from them all the way to the barrel. It's generally not a good idea to join two 3/16 laterals, especially low on the slope. The line with four is a seperate lateral. If your joining lines you need to go up to 5/16 from that point on. It's not worth compromising flow on a whole lateral for four taps.
    Thanks, it will be a separate line, going directly to the collection barrel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast