+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front Pan Levels

Default Front Pan Levels

Hello all,

As I was boiling last season on my rig I got to thinking between draw offs why don't they put a laser etching on the inside of the float box of the front pan with depths maybe at 1/2 inch increments? As you all know when boiling or particularly drawing off in a small rig like mine you are close to the edge especially if you are running at lower depths in the syrup pan. Things can get pretty interesting in my small rig when I am drawing off as the float can have a hard time keeping up with the drawoff as I tend to make syrup pretty far back in the pan. I tend to spend a lot of time getting things back in balance after drawing. I know that is not the norm as many people say set it and forget it but that is not the experience I have with this small pan. I am finishing the syrup on the rig. I was looking at some laser etched sockets I have and said to myself boy wouldn't that be nice to have with depths on the pans just to make it easier at start up etc. to see where your depths were at. I now use a stainless ruler to make sure I am at a proper depth at start up and quite often as I am boiling to make sure I am where I need to be. Anyway just a random thought. Wondering if anyone else has thought about this.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2019- 50 taps all buckets- 6 Gallons syrup made
    2020 -50 taps, more Sugar Maples, with some Reds- 6 gallons made
    2021- 46 taps- 26 on 3/16 tubing, 19 buckets - All Sugar Maples this year - 12.2 Gallons made
    Two kids one patient wife
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Might be useful, however any type of scratch or roughness on a pan surface acts as a place for scale-type niter to build up.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

For my syrup pan I know the top of the cutout from the float box to the rear channel is exactly 2" and that's what I use to set my depth.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Stainless is quite reflective

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    For my syrup pan I know the top of the cutout from the float box to the rear channel is exactly 2" and that's what I use to set my depth.
    That's exactly what I do and it's easier to lock into without so much steam. I can also tell when I'm reaching drawoff as the boiling bubbles extend into the box.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT

2017 - 13 gallons on 65 taps (12 buckets, rest 3/16), 2x4 flat bottom, modified cargo box sugarhouse
    2018 - 90 gallons on 418 taps (gravity lines), Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan, New Sugarhouse
    2019 - Burned through alot more money: heated kitchen, 2x2,000 and 375 gal ss sap tanks, CDL1200 RO, Bauch Vac Pump, More taps, etc., etc., etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I also always used the cut out into the draw off box. 2" opening, I kept the pan at 1", easy to see.
    Dave Klish about 400 taps, down from much more. Retired from collecting and boiling in 2021. Mostly because of a bad hip.
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered

+ Reply to Thread