+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graduating Five Gallon Pails

Default Graduating Five Gallon Pails

Just being a rookie hobbyist, I can see the five gallon pail as a major tool. Buckets will get emptied into them. Likely sap before going into an evaporator will come out of a five gallon pail, and I will likely store my daily sap, in my supply of five gallon pails, before I put sap into my 55 gallon storage barrels.

It will also be a key measurement tool, knowing how much sap you have collected, or how much you have boiled. I thought it was too important of a tool to guess how much sap is in a pail. My guess that in Canada, a lot of people would use the Canadian Tire food grade five gallon pail. I will have 18-20 of them, with lids. (A rotating third will get cleaned each night.)

I used my 8 gallon graduated pot and I measure out 1 to 5 gallons and poured it into the pail and marked where on the pail each gallon will be. I then measured from the bottom of the pail, how high up each line was.

The attached picture shows the gallon marks and the height of each line in inches. On a rainy day, I will mark all of my pails.

I am not sure if this would be helpful for anyone else, or not sure if I am crazy for doing this.

56BBB33C-278F-4F0F-8F4F-64FAD017EE8A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did the same thing last year. It was interesting to know how much sap I started each boil with and how much syrup it made. I could see the sap to syrup ratio change as the season progressed.
    I went from 40.5:1 ratio on first boil to 43.3:1 ratio on last boil. I'm on red maples.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

I have several of my five gallon pails marked like this that I use in the house for my syrup. Been doing that for years. Helps me gauge how many jars I am going to need to can it all up.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

"not sure if I am crazy for doing this."

You're not crazy. All of my 5 gal buckets are marked every half gallon. I gather with them and can always tell how much sap came from a tree that way. I can also see when I'm done gathering how much sap I ended up with for the day.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Of every piece of maple equipment I have , the 5 gal bucket is the most used and depended on!!

+ Reply to Thread