+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slight burned taste - old “grade B”? To sell

Default Slight burned taste - old “grade B”? To sell

Hi, happy fall season. I’m a small producer, made 35 gallons this year. I’ve sold a bunch at farmers markets, in all 3 grades - Golden, Amber, dark. However, the last batch of dark I made got a little burnt taste, from a combination of niter on the bottom of my syrup pan, or allowing the syrup level in the Pan get too low as I drew off and that burned it. It still tastes very good, very maple-y, but with a slightly burnt taste. First question is, will some customers like this taste? Im wondering if it similar to the old “grade B” that was so popular? I told people at the farmers market about the slightly burned taste, and they said that’s what they wanted, like the old dark grade B.

I have 5 gallons of this to sell (discounted) or use in some way, and looking for ideas. Is it reasonable to put it on a retail shelf noting the stronger, slightly burned taste? I don’t want it to affect my quality reputation. If I can’t sell it retail, will someone but the 5 gallons as bulk? We cook with our syrup, but couldn’t use more than a gallon. Of course we can and will give a lot away as gifts as long as they don’t mind the taste. Thanks for any input you can provide.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

It will sell if you market it as smokey flavored syrup, for cooking or normal use. I burned a batch of syrup a couple years ago, drew off the charred remains, filtered it, finished off and it was awesome. My buddy did a smoke infused batch and sold all of it.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Through the years I have had darker syrup that was not quite up to my usual standard that was either a little burnt (from niter), or a little funky from pre-bud. Some I have sold as bulk and was generally bought as "dark robust".

I have also sold it retail as dark "cooking syrup" at the farmers market, but in these cases I would offer a sample so people knew what they were getting. 9 times out of 10 they were very happy to take it home.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

yeah, I'm in the same mind set as generalstark. I would think it is fine to sell as "cooking syrup". Just be open and up front with what they are getting, a sample is always good. I have had some like that as well, over the years. We use it to cook with or make BBQ sauce, it makes good sauce.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Flavors are really personal for people. We all pick up different things and our memories and emotions get in the mix - not to mention what they ate from the last vendor. What you pick up as burned, may not even be noticeable to someone else, and then is exactly what the next person loves. When I boiled outside, everything I made was smokey and people loved it.

I think Stark is right. Put some in a squeeze bottle and offer samples at your table. I have a feeling, it's going to fly off the shelf.

Btw - There are 4 grades of syrup. Very Dark Strong Taste is the former Grade B. It's not off-flavored, just <25%Tc and has the strongest flavor. If your syrup is >25%Tc, but has a strong flavor profile, it can be labeled VD. You can't go the other way around, though. If it is <25%Tc, but has a more delicate flavor, you still have to label it VD.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

FYI former grade B is not in the Very Dark Strong range. It falls within current Dark Robust
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Ah, you're right!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Default Thanks for all the input!

Very helpful input so thanks. We’re in the same wavelength. I’ve done the same thing, be open with people about the taste, and offer a taste. A customer I sold some too just called me to get more - he loves it. Im selling it at a significant discount.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

+ Reply to Thread