+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: If you do everything right can you still end up with nitre?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    chester, ma
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    What is the “sweet”?
    As you boil you draw off finished syrup. Between boils the"sweet" remains in the pan(s).
    2016: Homemade arch from old woodburning stove. 2 steam tray pans. 6 taps on buckets. 1.1 galls
    2017: Same homemade evaporator, but souped up. Still 2 steam tray pans. 15 taps on buckets. 4.5 galls
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season. 2.2 gallons
    2019: Still very limited time. Downsized to 7 taps and a short season. 1.8 gallons
    2020: 9 taps, new Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season, 2 gallons
    2021: 18 taps. Mason 2x3 XL, 4.5 galls

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Williston, VT
    Posts
    384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    As you boil you draw off finished syrup. Between boils the"sweet" remains in the pan(s).
    That's a good way to describe sweet.

    So with a filter press, you can use to clean the sweet left in your pan. You save the filtered sweet in a container while you clean your pans. Then on the next boil you start with clean sweet. The problem I've had with a small divided pan evaporator without a flue pan was the over cooking of the syrup which is due in part to the sludge and niter buildup that keeps cooking into the syrup.

    Another benefit of bigger production setups is the RO process which provides basic prefiltering to remove bark, sand, bugs, and stuff. On an operation without RO, filtering the sweet would be removing this objectional stuff.

    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT

    2017 - 13 gallons on 65 taps (12 buckets, rest 3/16), 2x4 flat bottom, modified cargo box sugarhouse
    2018 - 90 gallons on 418 taps (gravity lines), Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan, New Sugarhouse
    2019 - Burned through alot more money: heated kitchen, 2x2,000 and 375 gal ss sap tanks, CDL1200 RO, Bauch Vac Pump, More taps, etc., etc., etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Parry Sound Area, Ontario
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    That's a good way to describe sweet.

    So with a filter press, you can use to clean the sweet left in your pan. You save the filtered sweet in a container while you clean your pans. Then on the next boil you start with clean sweet. The problem I've had with a small divided pan evaporator without a flue pan was the over cooking of the syrup which is due in part to the sludge and niter buildup that keeps cooking into the syrup.

    Another benefit of bigger production setups is the RO process which provides basic prefiltering to remove bark, sand, bugs, and stuff. On an operation without RO, filtering the sweet would be removing this objectional stuff.

    Ken
    So if I remove all of the partially boiled sap from my steam pans into a 8 gallon stainless steel pot and refrigerate it over night, then clean the insides of the steam pans with hot water before I boil again, I should not have any issues?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    So if I remove all of the partially boiled sap from my steam pans into a 8 gallon stainless steel pot and refrigerate it over night, then clean the insides of the steam pans with hot water before I boil again, I should not have any issues?
    With raw sap on this scale you will probably have no issues if leaving the sweet in the pans between boils maybe a mid season cleaning if it builds up but I doubt that will happen. In the end its really like hitting a moving target because sugar sand and niter are different in each region and each sap run so you just need to keep an eye on it. When you start to RO sap is when you will need to keep an even better eye on it because it gets 10 fold worse with sand and niter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts