+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar shack smoke stack question

I went with the double wall from the base stack all the way out. I also used a boot and really like how well they seal around the pipe, but still used a collar. Me personally I would stick with double wall.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Thanks for the thoughts! I am going to look into the appliance adapter, but also look at pricing one more piece of double walled. weigh my options.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

I have a 6" single wall from a woodstove and it adapts to 6" double wall with this adapter
    http://https://www.amazon.com/Selkir...07480785&psc=1 In your case you would also need a single wall adapter that selkirk also sells to go from the 6 to 8. jay
    Zucker Lager

One more thought:

To cap or not to cap? That is the question!

I had a six inch stove pipe that started out with a cap, which got knocked off because it was thought that it restricted the draft too much. I am going from a 6 to an 8” pipe, and I am getting rid of two 90 deg turns and going straight up. Will putting a cap on negate the improvements I have made? Should I be worried about inhibiting the draft with a cap? If I don’t put a cap on, it will just get covered with a bucket during the off season. If I do put a cap on, what type do you recommend?
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    One more thought:

To cap or not to cap? That is the question!

I had a six inch stove pipe that started out with a cap, which got knocked off because it was thought that it restricted the draft too much. I am going from a 6 to an 8” pipe, and I am getting rid of two 90 deg turns and going straight up. Will putting a cap on negate the improvements I have made? Should I be worried about inhibiting the draft with a cap? If I don’t put a cap on, it will just get covered with a bucket during the off season. If I do put a cap on, what type do you recommend?
    I would definitely put a cap on it. I wouldn't want any moisture getting in there at any time. The question on whether it would restrict draft has several variables including the design of the cap and the size of your evaporator. Woodstoves have far lower throughput than an evaporator so caps intended for use with them may end up restricting the draft somewhat. I used a metalbestos cap for several years before switching to a flip style cap due to concerns about restriction and sparks. I believe it made a difference but I'm not exactly sure how much. I'm guessing that lots of people use woodstove type caps and are perfectly happy with them.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I would put a flip over cap that you can close when not boiling. Don’t use a Chinese style cap because it will restrict flow when you are boiling. You want good flow of smoke out your chimney for the best draft and fire.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have used just a simple rain cap for years and do fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Chimney-Flue-...n%2C121&sr=1-8
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I ordered a fixed cap but am having it made SS. I want to do this once, and not have to redo it next year. If the draft really is an issue, I will change it to a flip cap next year. but I’m crossing my fingers that overall, considering the increase in stack diameter and loss of elbows in the chimney, it will be an improvement over last year.

Wish me luck! Thanks for all the advice!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12