+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar shack smoke stack question

Default Sugar shack smoke stack question

So the sugar shack smoke stack consists of duct tubing made up of a 2’ horizontal section, elbow, then up 10’ vertical. Problem- The system is outside of the shack hence exposed to the elements and the horizontal piece rots out every season or two. Any suggestions on how to protect it? I was told to drill a drain hole. Thanks in advance! Ps- I no longer use the pre heat coil feed tank system)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22497
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

It's hard to see it clearly in the picture. Are you saying precip. is coming down the smoke stack and rotting the horizontal piece from the inside? If so, a stack cover will take care of that. A cheaper version is to put a bucket over the top in the off season or when you are not boiling. If you use a metal bucket you can put it on when you are finished boiling.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

for many years the end of our arch was outside the shack we used old metal roofing to make back wall of the shack next to the stack. Our chimney was made out of 1/4" steel material though, it collected scale but never rusted out. it was outside until last season we build a new arch and moved the whole setup just inside the metal roofing so it's out of the weather. re used the whole stack just cut the width down. Still need to do something about a roof jack though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Thanks woodville! Yeah the pic sucks. I do cover the stack after use but the moisture is still finding it’s way down. I’m not sure if it’s rusting more from inside out or outside in. As I’m now thinking since I’m not using the pre heat and rear tank feed any longer, I’m thinking that there area can probably be more enclosed by boxing it in with cement board or maybe corrugated roofing material making sure there’s ample space around the stack.
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

I think the heat rusts out the thin wall duct tubing. Easier/cheaper just to replace it every couple years than trying to make it last longer.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Quote Originally Posted by wobbletop View Post
    I think the heat rusts out the thin wall duct tubing. Easier/cheaper just to replace it every couple years than trying to make it last longer.
    I agree. I use single wall stove pipe and I have to replace it every other year, inside and out. The heat just breaks it down. The only way to avoid it is go stainless or heavy gauge.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I put a nice new metal roof on my barn-turned-sugar shack this summer. Previously, I had a 90 deg turn out the window, and another 90 deg turn up for the 6" stack. You can imagine how much draft I didn't get. While the new roof was getting put on, I figured now is the time to put a hole in it, so I had a boot put in that would accommodate a double walled 8" (essentially a 10") SS pipe. (yes, changed from 6 to 8"). Double walled SS is a little pricey, so I had thought that once I got a bit above the roof, I could go back to single walled. I need 8' above the base of the boot to meet the required 2' above the peak, which is less than 10' away. The shop where I am getting my stuff said I need to go double walled all the way up, and there is no adapter to go from double to single, without trapping water and possibly freezing and leaking when not in use.

Question is: Should I really go double walled all the way up? The attachment of the double walled to another piece of double walled seems stronger, and less likely to blow over (even though - yes - I have been told I should stabilize the top piece with wire). And its not going to break the bank.
    Or : should I reduce to single walled after going up out of the boot about 4'? I could use a collar to shield it, as it goes from double to single, same as the collar that goes around the double walled at the top of the boot?

I am leaning toward double all the way up as I want to do this ONCE, the right way.
    Comments?
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Is there a way to angle the pipe while its on the inside of the shack and have it exit near the peak? That way you could run single wall on the interior and then transition only at the peak.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

hmmm . . good idea, but the boot in the roof is already over the evaporator. The main idea was to eliminate the bends, and go straight up. A small angle along the roof line probably wouldn't be bad, but I am past that point of no return.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

I think the piece you are looking for is called an appliance adapter. It is what would be used to make the connection to a wood stove etc. I have installed a few on wood burning appliances and not had an issue. As far as water I can't imagine an instance where there would be enough water clinging to the wall of the pipe for long enough to cause a problem before the arch rusted out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast