+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many trees is too many?

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    Check out maple tech tools online. That's where I got my new one handed tool from. They are about half the price of others and work good. I pre made all my drops that I thought I was going to use last year in about twenty minutes, not bad for 50. I will have a better idea this fall when I put up the line and cut in the drops how they work out.
    Thanks, I have sent them an email to see if they ship to Canada. Sometimes the cost of bringing items across the border can make them quite expensive. Sometimes I wish I still had my house in Arizona.

I can see how that tool could really save time.

I purchased some rope and today I simulated running sap lines, trying to join up a string of trees. The first run, I connected 8 trees and used 200’ of rope. The second run, I connected 10 trees and used about 325’ of rope.

I paused and thought you only truly get the benefit of the 3/16” line, when you have 15 to 25 trees and I am not getting close to that. I then thought it made more sense for me to connect 4-6 trees and not have the long runs between some trees. It would make better use of the 600’ of hose I have. It still would be a time saver for me. It was good experience getting a feel for curving the line around the trees.

I then went over to my neighbour who removes his line at the end of the season. My first question was how well did he match up his old line with the drops and he said most of the time he ran new line, but kept his drops and reconnected them to the new line. He did keep some old line. He also said that his lines were mostly only four to five trees, because how they were located in the forest.

Once again doing a dry run has helped me understand my own variables and limitations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123