+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My plan

Default My plan

I have yet to tap a tree or boil an ounce of sap, but I have the bug bad. I have read many, many articles on it, watched many you tube videos and have chatted up local syrup makers. I have been posting about my cinder block evaporator build and almost have it dialed in after it’s third test. Still some tweaks to do.

This is my plan after hauling down the sap from the trees. I will have the ability to store about 120 gallons of sap. Right now I will be tapping 36 trees, that may go up. For the most part I will be collecting the sap and boiling.

I will filter the raw sap into the storage containers. (2 45 gallon covered drums and 5 gallon pails. All food grade.

The sap will be stored outdoors, covered in snow banks. When I get 60 gallons stored, or after two days being stored, I will start boiling.

I will boil it to close to syrup, but stop before it does. I will pour it, while it is still hot, through a wet filter into a pail. I will keep that pail in a snowbank until I am ready to finish it.

I received my finishing pot today, it is magnetic stainless steel and I will heat the nearup on an induction range. I will test it with a candy thermometer, hydrotherm and a refractometer. My goal is to get it to between 67 and 67.5 Brix. When it is done, I will filter it once more into a pail and store it in a snowbank until I am ready to bottle it. (I will use the same pot and induction range to boil some sap, while I am evaporating.)

On September 8th, I pick up a brew kettle with a ball valve and thermometer. When it comes time for bottling, will slowly reheat the syrup while stirring and when it reaches between 185 and 190 degrees, I will fill preheat jars and bottles, cap them and then turn them upside down for five seconds. Then I am done, other than cleaning up.

Is there any major mistakes to my plan?

5640614A-A2D4-4004-BD3C-69AB8565B9F3.jpg
    D6A7BF13-675F-428E-BAB6-810DA20A2CD8.jpg

One observation of your plan is the snowbank. I did the same this past spring with my 45 gallon storage tank set in the snowbank. The rains and quick melt this spring made my snow melt fast. That coupled with 15 to 20 degree Celsius days I had to switch to an alternate method to keep my sap cool. I made sap cubes by putting sap in ice cream container and throwing them in the freezer overnight. In the morning I would put 3 or 4 sap cubes in the barrel then make new ones. This kept my sap safe for the few days until the boil.
    From my understanding this past spring was not very good from a sap yield perspective.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Quote Originally Posted by aamyotte View Post
    I made sap cubes by putting sap in ice cream container and throwing them in the freezer overnight. In the morning I would put 3 or 4 sap cubes in the barrel then make new ones. This kept my sap safe for the few days until the boil.
    From my understanding this past spring was not very good from a sap yield perspective.
    Clever idea, thank you.

Yes last spring was certainly different.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I will boil it to close to syrup, but stop before it does. I will pour it, while it is still hot, through a wet filter into a pail. I will keep that pail in a snowbank until I am ready to finish it.
    Attachment 22483
    Attachment 22484
    I do this but use a stainless steel pot ( minimum 16 quart pot ) rather then a pail. Not sure what the pail is??? I keep the stainless steel pot stored in a refrigerator inside. That way I don't have to worry about critters getting into it.

If I have more to add to it within a few days I add it. Sometimes I have two steel pots going at one time.

I usually don't let it go more then 2 or 3 days before I take it to syrup on propane in those same pot/pots.

Then it goes into 1/2 gallon mason jars.

Settles nearly all sugar sand to the bottom after a few weeks.

Can be pored off effectively for reheating and rebottling if need be.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    I do this but use a stainless steel pot ( minimum 16 quart pot ) rather then a pail. Not sure what the pail is??? I keep the stainless steel pot stored in a refrigerator inside. That way I don't have to worry about critters getting into it..
    The “pail” was just going to be a 5 gallon plastic food grade pail with a lid on it. I do have one 16 qt stainless steel pot that I was going to use for some supplemental boiling and finishing. I guess getting a second one would be a better vessel to store it in and when it got full, I know it would be time to finish it. Fridge space is always an issue, but I do have a second fridge in the bunkie (sleeping cabin) that I likely could use.

Thanks

Personally speaking, I like to finish and bottle every batch, or at most every two batches. Otherwise all your syrup is going to be a blend. Which may be fine with you, but I like the variety I get from different batches. Even if you don't want to bottle each batch, I still don't see the point of finishing each batch unless you're going to bottle it. When you get it exactly to syrup, bottle it then, rather than having to deal with storing it and reheating it.

Particularly since you seem to be very reliant on the weather for a lot of your storage. That's an iffy proposition, as Mother Nature always has her own plans, and they don't always line up with ours!

Good luck!

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

So to be clear, I would just change the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post

I received my finishing pot today, it is magnetic stainless steel and I will heat the nearup on an induction range. I will test it with a candy thermometer, hydrotherm and a refractometer. My goal is to get it to between 67 and 67.5 Brix. When it is done, I will filter it

SKIP THIS STEP:
    once more into a pail and store it in a snowbank until I am ready to

and bottle it.
    Cheers,

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

i am assuming that your 36 trees will each have one tap per tree. If you are using regular sap buckets on a good day they may have to be emptied twice. What I am saying is your trees could produce 2 or 3 gallons of sap per tree and if the weather is perfect this could happen for several days in a row. Just something for you to think about for storage and boiling. Sap, like milk, will only keep for so long before it starts to turn. You will have to boil almost everyday to keep up when it really flows well.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    Personally speaking, I like to finish and bottle every batch, or at most every two batches. Otherwise all your syrup is going to be a blend. Which may be fine with you, but I like the variety I get from different batches. Even if you don't want to bottle each batch, I still don't see the point of finishing each batch unless you're going to bottle it. When you get it exactly to syrup, bottle it then, rather than having to deal with storing it and reheating it.

GO
    I hear you. Thanks

I think I was staging the steps because of was thinking of workload management.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    i am assuming that your 36 trees will each have one tap per tree. If you are using regular sap buckets on a good day they may have to be emptied twice. What I am saying is your trees could produce 2 or 3 gallons of sap per tree and if the weather is perfect this could happen for several days in a row. Just something for you to think about for storage and boiling. Sap, like milk, will only keep for so long before it starts to turn. You will have to boil almost everyday to keep up when it really flows well.
    The logistics of collecting sap, boiling, finishing and bottling does have me thinking about how I am going to manage it, especially when the sap is really running.

Assuming i get about 10.5 US gallons of sap per tree in a season, as an average, and each time I boil, I have 64 US gallons of sap available, I will have 6 boil days for the 36 taps. (assuming boiling 8 gallons an hour for 8 hours)

Keep in mind I have never tapped a tree or boiled an ounce of sap before, so all of my planning could be bunk. I do see now that I should finish and bottle on the same day, although it will be done in two different pots.

I do have an ace in the hole for sap storage. I plow all of the snow in my parking areas into a gulley, that snow hangs around for several weeks after the other snow is gone and it is close to the evaporator. It can be used as my outdoor refrigerator.

Lots to learn.

One question, what would a typical minimum amount of sap to boil?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast