+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selling syrup through a local store front?

Default Selling syrup through a local store front?

Hi all, I was approached by the owner of a small store in my town about the possibility of selling our syrup. Currently, we have just done small batches that we grade and sell (or just giveaway, ha) to friends / family but my guess is moving to a retail location would open up a very different set of requirements.

Can anyone point to a good guide on the subject or speak to whether it's worth the hassle? I have been mulling a (relatively) big expansion at some point since buying a new property and this would probably be part of the plan. I doubt I'd ever go over a couple hundred taps but I don't want to take the fun out of it...

So, looking for a split of practical advice and then just general opinions on the impact of sales on the process overall.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on bock arch and hotel pans
    2017: 25 taps...same setup
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets...same setup with 50
    2021: Planning for 100 taps (50/50) on 2x4 divided pan

For me, it is not a hassle. There are a number of things to consider. How much do they anticipate they will sell per month/year and do you make enough to keep them supplied? If not, do you know where you can get the amount and quality of extra syrup needed? Your quality control needs to be spot on. You do not want your syrup to come back because of grading, density, flavor, etc. Not good for you or the store. Just a few things to think about to get you started. I'm sure others will have more thoughts and suggestions.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    About 1300 taps on gravity, vacuum someday
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    For me, it is not a hassle. There are a number of things to consider. How much do they anticipate they will sell per month/year and do you make enough to keep them supplied? If not, do you know where you can get the amount and quality of extra syrup needed? Your quality control needs to be spot on. You do not want your syrup to come back because of grading, density, flavor, etc. Not good for you or the store. Just a few things to think about to get you started. I'm sure others will have more thoughts and suggestions.
    Thanks, that's helpful to know your experience - I look forward to some day looking back and saying I've been making syrup for over 40 years, too!

I'm also hoping someone can speak to the regulatory aspect(s)...am I required to have certain equipment inspected or approved before selling via retail? I know it's a little different if you sell from your own residence, at least in NY.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on bock arch and hotel pans
    2017: 25 taps...same setup
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets...same setup with 50
    2021: Planning for 100 taps (50/50) on 2x4 divided pan

You may want to check with your respective State's regulations for selling syrup. In Michigan they have certain labeling requirements as well as meeting specific food safety standards, even if you are not licensed. Good luck with your operation.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    600+ taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Contact New York State Maple Producers at 315-877-5795 or check them out on line.

+ Reply to Thread