+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling syrup through a local store front?

Default Selling syrup through a local store front?

Hi all, I was approached by the owner of a small store in my town about the possibility of selling our syrup. Currently, we have just done small batches that we grade and sell (or just giveaway, ha) to friends / family but my guess is moving to a retail location would open up a very different set of requirements.

Can anyone point to a good guide on the subject or speak to whether it's worth the hassle? I have been mulling a (relatively) big expansion at some point since buying a new property and this would probably be part of the plan. I doubt I'd ever go over a couple hundred taps but I don't want to take the fun out of it...

So, looking for a split of practical advice and then just general opinions on the impact of sales on the process overall.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

For me, it is not a hassle. There are a number of things to consider. How much do they anticipate they will sell per month/year and do you make enough to keep them supplied? If not, do you know where you can get the amount and quality of extra syrup needed? Your quality control needs to be spot on. You do not want your syrup to come back because of grading, density, flavor, etc. Not good for you or the store. Just a few things to think about to get you started. I'm sure others will have more thoughts and suggestions.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    For me, it is not a hassle. There are a number of things to consider. How much do they anticipate they will sell per month/year and do you make enough to keep them supplied? If not, do you know where you can get the amount and quality of extra syrup needed? Your quality control needs to be spot on. You do not want your syrup to come back because of grading, density, flavor, etc. Not good for you or the store. Just a few things to think about to get you started. I'm sure others will have more thoughts and suggestions.
    Thanks, that's helpful to know your experience - I look forward to some day looking back and saying I've been making syrup for over 40 years, too!

I'm also hoping someone can speak to the regulatory aspect(s)...am I required to have certain equipment inspected or approved before selling via retail? I know it's a little different if you sell from your own residence, at least in NY.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

You may want to check with your respective State's regulations for selling syrup. In Michigan they have certain labeling requirements as well as meeting specific food safety standards, even if you are not licensed. Good luck with your operation.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Contact New York State Maple Producers at 315-877-5795 or check them out on line.

Did you make the move? How has it gone for you?
    I started selling thru a local storefront about 9 years ago. Every year has gotten way better, and a bonus is tht the store has moved to a bigger/better location 2 times. When I started with them, they were in an old 2 room schoolhouse, they then moved to an old Home Center (about 14,000SF) that had gone out of business , lost mostly to Lowes. Now, last June they moved to a shopping plaza with a huge parking lot and now have almost 50,000SF. They quickly filled that space and my sales have surged along with it. My sales have grown so much that 2 mos ago I cancelled my only online advertising, one that cost me $180 a year. I'm as busy as I can handle (I'm 75 now) I may eventually quit my website, have not yet decided. I guess my biggest issue would be is if the one store I'm in were to go belly up, I would then wish I hadn't "put all of my eggs in one basket".
    To sell my syrup there I have every container labeled with: Pure New York State Maple Syrup, Grade, Size, Price and my name and address and my website and email. It is rather easy, but you must restock and straighten up the display as needed. The store I'm in sends a sales report every day about 15-30 minutes after closing, that helps a lot. On my price tags I also have an item number, that number tells me the grade of the syrup and the price tells me the size. That way I know what I need to take in to restock, in fact, my youngest daughter (a mother of 4) has done it for me since just before my original surgery date was postponed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We sell some syrup through a store front for a year now. They are great people and so far it's worked out well. Good luck!
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

We were approached by a farm store directly across the road. It's our first year officially selling with a name and not just peddling on Facebook. I'm unsure of what our numbers will be and makes me hesitant to say we can keep them stocked. Our first maple weekend id say was a success with over 200 people each day. So our name is getting out there. I've had sales through word of mouth since maple weekend and even repeat customers. I offered wholesale pricing to them at somewhere around 75/25% split. They sent me their current suppliers numbers and are of course below ours. I'm thinking of walking away and having our farm stand set up where our customers can buy directly from us ( I already offer hours with pickup or local delivery and will soon do shipping) with perhaps new customers just driving to his farm. I'm I unreasonable with the split? I feel like 50% is crazy, especially when we are new and naively thinking we will be able to sell all on our own.
    2023 650+ taps 4-4x40 Frankenstein ro
    2022 - 500 taps 77 on shurflo the rest on Gast 3040 vacuum pump 1" main, DIY 2 post 4x40 RO, NEW to us 30"x8' oil-fired with preheat/hood
    2021 - 205 taps (150 on shurflo, rest on 3/16 gravity) RO Bucket 4 membrane

L48 Kubota tractor
    1954 Ferguson T0-30

www.hopcitymaple.com

A few rock walls down from where Andy hid the money for Red.

A 50-50 split in retail is fairly standard. I’m on the fence myself about approaching local vendors. So far, I’ve been able to move most if not all of my stock within a year. If you can sell it on your own, go for it. Especially if you have a market across the street that’s already creating its own draw. Customers would prefer to get it from the source.

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say they approached you so they weren’t competing with you.
    Last edited by M&M Maple Grove; 04-05-2022 at 05:03 AM.
    Roughly 300 taps on a hybrid 3/16 gravity/Shurflo vacuum system.
    12x16 Solo build timber frame sugar house.
    RO Bucket RB-20 with 2nd booster pump(screaming for a coffee break)
    Mismatched Grimm Lighting(Vermont) 2x4 raised flue/ Small Brothers(Quebec) 3x3 syrup pan on modified oil tank arch.

“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Al

How are you defining the % split? A % of total retail sale price? Or 50/50 split of markup over the cost of goods? Typically you want to markup your retail price to be 50% over cost of goods and then take a % off of that for wholesale purchases above a certain $ threshold. These numbers can vary by size of unit (smaller bottles take more time to bottle a high number of them).

In my opinion 50/50 of retail price is way too high for them.

I sell direct to consumers and thru a very nice set of stores in Pittsburgh neighborhoods and only mark down my prices in wholesale to them at 12.5% to 15% because they bring me a set amount of sales volume of specific sized bottles. At a 12.5% discount they are getting a 14.3% ROI. At 15% they make 17.7% ROI. In fact, the neighborhoods they are in actually allow them to sell my syrup at prices that are higher than my direct to consumer price so they are making quite a bit more actually. Location matters and I am very thankful for our partnership. But what storefront wouldn't love a return of 15 to 17% on their money??? Good luck getting that in the market.

I recommend calculating out what it really costs to make a gallon of syrup. Do an "all in" cost of goods calculation that accounts for depreciated equipment expense, fuel, containers, consumables like filters and DE, labels, licensing costs, insurance, websites, and labor. Yes firewood is "free" if you have it around your property.... but you still spend time cutting, splitting, stacking it. Calculating your labor contributions, even at a low rate of $15/hr will be eye opening. Include time to hang tubing buckets and take it all down and clean it.

#1 I think most of us would raise our prices if we saw what it truely cost us and #2 we would be in a better position to negotiate wholesale prices to retailers and explain to them the basis of our pricing and discounts.

Best of luck in your decision here but do not settle for something that doesn't make financial sense. I know most of us run this as a hobby and pseudo business ... but business should generate profit. Don't give that all away just to move your product.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast