+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grant's

Default Grant's

A few years ago at the CT maple meeting in January, someone spoke about getting grants.

He received grants for just about everything in his sugar house, I THINK including the sugar house. I am just a little guy, hoping some day to get bigger, but I was wondering exactly HOW and where to go to get grants for everything from the building to a new pan and an RO. I figure it is worth a shot since I need it all anyway, I might as well see if my tax money will pay for it in this state.

I know there is this https://portal.ct.gov/DOAG/Marketing...t---FB-Program
    I feel like there was a lot more than that one grant however. Obviously it was a few years ago so the same grant's may not be there, but does anyone have an idea of where to start?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here as well.
    2020 - 1st year 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same own!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 -

My 2 cents

I assume that grants are only available for projects involving research, initiating commercial growth of a new market/industry, increased employment in disadvantaged areas (for the general public, not just for grant recipient), education, etc.

I wouldn't expect taxpayer funded grants to further a hobby or business enterprise as the grants main objective. And, I'd be disappointed in the use of my tax dollars if it did.

Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 08-16-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT

2017 - 13 gallons on 65 taps (12 buckets, rest 3/16), 2x4 flat bottom, modified cargo box sugarhouse
    2018 - 90 gallons on 418 taps (gravity lines), Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan, New Sugarhouse
    2019 - Burned through alot more money: heated kitchen, 2x2,000 and 375 gal ss sap tanks, CDL1200 RO, Bauch Vac Pump, More taps, etc., etc., etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Check with the Dept. of Ag. in your state or your state maple association. They will have all the info you need. With 19 taps and only 2 years under your belt you have a long way to go before the state will be giving you any money. Also most grants are reimbursement grants meaning you have to spend the money first before they give you any.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    About 1300 taps on gravity, vacuum someday
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

+ Reply to Thread