+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do 2" drum bung threads seal?

Default Do 2" drum bung threads seal?

I'm considering using a SS drum to drain my 2x4 back pan into on cold nights. My question is, are there enough threads on the 2" bung to seal to a threaded ball valve? The bungs don't look like they have a lot of thread engagement. If threaded connections won't seal, are there other recommendations?

I needed distance, but I ended up getting a Banjo nipple to connect the ball valve to the bung. Sealed it up with pipe tap and no leaks.

IMG_0569.jpg
    2024 - Starting with the 25 then more late Feb.
    2023 - 25 taps on 11 trees to focus on the process. 9 Gallons and lots of sugar sand. 35 people over for breakfast in April
    2022 - 8 x 14 sugarhouse and a steam bottler. 50 buckets! 9 Gallons syrup and 4 pounds of sugar
    2021 - 20 x 30 divided pan on a Mason arch, 34 taps and 8 gallons for family and friends to judge. Dad hooked as well.
    2020 - 2 taps, 1/2 pint on a turkey fryer, About 3/4 pint syrup in two weeks - Proof of concept!

From the picture it looks like you're using plastic drums. While the number of threads per bung may be very similar, I'm thinking sealing SS threads may be more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    I'm considering using a SS drum to drain my 2x4 back pan into on cold nights. My question is, are there enough threads on the 2" bung to seal to a threaded ball valve? The bungs don't look like they have a lot of thread engagement. If threaded connections won't seal, are there other recommendations?
    Worst case if there's a small leak you put a container below to catch the drips overnight. Not ideal but you won't lose anything.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

The threads will seal fine. Use pipe tape on it and you should not have a problem.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Threads did seal fine once I taped them up. This is so much easier than using 5 gallon buckets to drain my back pan into on cold nights.

+ Reply to Thread