+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condition of maple trees

Default Condition of maple trees

I took a walk around my maple trees the other day. Couldn't help noticing the leaves on the trees are very small and look like they're being eaten by something. I can't see any bugs or caterpillars on them though. I checked out my own trees, that have been tapped, as well as new trees that have never been tapped. Both are the same. I also notice I can look right through the tops of the trees, where as in years past, they were so full I couldn't do that.
    Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same condition.
    I'm in North East CT.

maple leaves.jpg

I'm not in your area but if I was to guess I'd think gypsy moth.

https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Forestry/...---An-Overview

They should be past the caterpillar stage and into moth stage for you. See if you can start to see the egg masses or female moths.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Probably the gypsy moth , parts of Litchfield county have been devastated

Gypsy moths around here usually target the oak trees first. Non of the oaks around the maples have been touched.
    The size of the maple leaves that haven't been chewed are very small compared to years past. That's what really stands out.
    I'll watch for the egg masses though.
    Thanks

Had a tree service over yesterday. He told me my entire area has the same problem with their maple trees having small leaves and being eaten. I forget what he told me they were, but he did say they weren't gypsy moths.
    Hope all is well come tapping season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Had a tree service over yesterday. He told me my entire area has the same problem with their maple trees having small leaves and being eaten. I forget what he told me they were, but he did say they weren't gypsy moths.
    Hope all is well come tapping season.
    Yes I have noticed it on my trees. Canopies are thin and sparse. No Gypsy Moths to be found. When GM's are bad you can hear the poop snap when it hits the forest floor. No snaps what so ever.

Looks like the leaf count is lower then normal on the canopies. Not so much they have been eaten but more the leaves are just not their.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Sugar Bear, did you your area get hit with a really late frost??
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    Sugar Bear, did you your area get hit with a really late frost??
    No Definitely not. Also not in the southern Hudson Valley either, around the Fishkill, NY area. Excellent Blossom season for fruit trees in the area. At my house in Weston, CT Maple leaves seem thin. Almost like only 2/3 the number of leaves that should be on the trees are on them. Do not appear to be eaten at all or really even small at all. In Fishkill area the leaves seem more normal.

On the other hand I drove up the NY Thruway to Keene Valley, NY this AM and noticed that MANY of the deciduous trees all along the Northway north of Saratoga County are DESACRATED by leaf eating insects. Alongside many previous dead trees from the past year or two.

Pretty scary stuff as I saw it.

My feeling is that our Deciduous forest appear to be in in the worst shape that I have ever seen. But that is just my 57 - 4 years of eyeing trees.

Half a century of Bug Eying trees should be good for something. I guess.

Perhaps I am just paranoid.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Sugar Bear I wouldn't fret to much. It is what Mother Nature has given us this year. Maybe next year will be your your best year yet. I am looking forward to next spring as I did not get to tap this year. Hope to put in 100 for 2022. Just a lot of work by myself. Next year though better than half will be on 3/16 tubing, that ought to be a challenge for the first time for me.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I'm a little paranoid too Sugar Bear. That's why I started this thread. I've found even more maple trees in my area that are in worse shape than mine.
    It would be nice not to fret with what Mother Nature has given us, but I will only be tapping the largest trees I have and stick to one tap per tree, regardless of diameter to be on the safe side. I only make around five gallons of syrup a year anyhow. I'll just spread my taps out a little more.

+ Reply to Thread