+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporator placement

Default Evaporator placement

I'm in the process of moving my whole operation to my own property from my families farm. In the process of this I'm converting an old 12x16 shed into a sugarhouse. I have my cupola built and installed. My new evaporator was delivered and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for it. As I've been moving it around to find the best spot it seems to fit best with the firebox facing the double doors that are the entry way to the building, however this placement is not in line with the roof ridge, it is directly below my cupola though. It seems as everyone places the evaporator in line with the roof ridge and that's how my old sugarhouse was set up. My question is if I place it not in line with the roof ridge how much trouble will I run into? I can place it in line with the roof ridge but my extra usable space is cut way down. Just curious on some thoughts. Thanks

I run a 4x14 perpendicular to the roof ridge. No Problems!

I have my 2 by 7 slightly off center in my 12 by 16 sugar house, with no issues. I did it so my smoke stack would be straight Its probably 2 foot in the rear to 1 foot in fount..
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

Do you plan on bringing wood in through the double doors? It would be nice to be able to load wood into the sugar house so it is headed for the arch doors. It might raise issues with needing a very tall smoke stack to get above the ridge line if you are perp. to it. Is your new evaporator also a 2x6? If so, the smoke stack can still come out near the ridge. The relative orientation of the steam doors and the evaporator won't have much effect on how well the steam exits, even though intuitively it seems that having the two rectangles aligned makes sense.
    Last edited by Sappy Camper; 07-05-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Consider what effect the double doors being open might have as far as creating a draft on your pans. If it is going to be on the end of the pans it shouldn't have as much cooling effect as it would on the sides of the pans.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Sappy Camper View Post
    Do you plan on bringing wood in through the double doors? It would be nice to be able to load wood into the sugar house so it is headed for the arch doors. It might raise issues with needing a very tall smoke stack to get above the ridge line if you are perp. to it. Is your new evaporator also a 2x6? If so, the smoke stack can still come out near the ridge. The relative orientation of the steam doors and the evaporator won't have much effect on how well the steam exits, even though intuitively it seems that having the two rectangles aligned makes sense.
    Yes the double doors are the only entrance to the shed. If I place perpendicular to the roof line the fire box door is directly in front of the double doors. Easy to bring in wood and load it.

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    Consider what effect the double doors being open might have as far as creating a draft on your pans. If it is going to be on the end of the pans it shouldn't have as much cooling effect as it would on the sides of the pans.
    Gary
    That cooling effect on the sides shouldn't be an issue placing evaporator perpendicular to the roof line as the firebox door would face the double doors, they are the only entrance to the building

Mine is a 2 x 4 that is facing the double doors and I have found in order to get sufficient draw with the blower on in my 12 x 16 sugar house I have to leave at least one door open along with the cupola. If I don't have that door open it really fills up with steam.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I say, place it where it's most convenient. For stack height it really makes no difference. Your stack needs to be 2 times the length of the evaporator or 3' out of the roof or 2' above the highest point on the roof within 10'. Since the area is not over 20' wide you must be 2' above the top of the cupola no matter where it gets placed to meet national codes for solid fueled appliances (which a wood fired evaporator is).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread