+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire Twisters

Hybrid View

Default Wire Twisters

Looking to get wire tie twister for installing mainline. Thinking I would like one for a power drill. Anyone have any experience with those and do they work OK?

never used one on a drill but my step dad made one, just used a hook from the hardware store, looks too easy to over tighten or break the ties to me. I've had better success with the "manual" twist tie, last year i splurged and bought an "automatic" tie twister, I like it the best by far. Just bend on the tie, one pull up and done.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

I really like the CDL auto twister we have that darkmachine is probably referring to. I'm sure they all make one. I would think with a drill you would spend more time trying to go slow as to not break the ties than its worth. Plus the weight.......I'd try the auto twister first.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by darkmachine View Post
    last year i splurged and bought an "automatic" tie twister, I like it the best by far. Just bend on the tie, one pull up and done.
    They are the best I've used and I'll bet as fast as any device. I'd avoid carrying around a cordless drill in the bush.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I’ve done thousands with auto twister and they do work well. Just Looking for something better as my old joints and muscles just aren’t what they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ldick View Post
    I’ve done thousands with auto twister and they do work well. Just Looking for something better as my old joints and muscles just aren’t what they used to be.
    My joints and muscles beg me not to carry my cordless drill around the woods.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

if you are looking for ease and speed look at the Maxx twin tie gun. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the price but it is like and RO once you get there you will not come back.

Max twintier 441t is the ultimate answer. I can tie 2-3000 feet per hour. The price is a bit of a set back and I presume will keep most producers, especially small producers from going that route. for an installer like me it is a no brainer.
    owner/operator, D&B Maple
    Tubing system consultations, installs and repair
    https://www.facebook.com/DB-Maple-110587323841677

Operator, Fairbanks Maple
    6,000 tap family sugaring operation
    https://www.facebook.com/FairbanksMaple

I agree! I love my Max tier too. I’ve owned one for 8 years, take good care of it and it will last a long time.
    Highgate
    30,000 plus Taps
    Wood Chip Evaporator
    TapTrack System- Wireless vacuum monitoring

I wondered weather one of those MAXX guns would work on mainline. I've seen them used for concrete work and they work great for that. As far as the price they are in the same group of items as a spin-seal machine, great if you have loads of mainline to hang, but for a small job the cost isn't worth it. That being said if you are dealing with any kind of age or health limitation, and a tool like that keeps you out making syrup it's probably worth it You could always rent it out when you weren't using it, lol.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast