+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader's shipping cost concern

Default Leader's shipping cost concern

I was just about to purchase 15 cases of maple syrup jugs with lids from Leader. I thought the price was right. $10.95. However when proceeding with my checkout, Leader was going to charge me $13.00 a case for the 12 ounce jugs. They i noticed they had a message that the shipping price may or may not be right and that I would have to buy first and then see what I would be charged. They would refund me money if their system was wrong with the estimate. Is there any other company that has a computer program that can't determine the correct amount to charge. This seems strange to me that a company in today's technological world doesn't have a shipping program that can list an actual cost for their shipping. Maybe it's not that simple to fix, I don't know. I just was wondering if this was a problem for others out there. Any other suggestion as to where to purchase glass maple syrup thumb hole jugs?

Just wondering what's going on.

do you have a local dealer? you could buy them at the $10.95 price there. shipping has been getting expensive with fuel, labor, etc lately I've seen that disclosure a couple times other places since they quote you and the cost changes by the time theyre shipped.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

Pick up the phone and call. Quicker, easier, and more effective than complaining. If they aren't helpful in a live conservation then we'd like to hear about it.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I see you are in PA. I get mine either at Gamber container or Fillmore container. Both in Lancaster PA. I know Fillmore ships not sure about Gamber.

SRM, If they are shipping each case individually, through either UPS or Fedex, and they have one of the shipping systems in house they can tell you to the penny the cost it will be before hand. Each of these carriers uses a zone and zip rate and if Leader has a shipping system and enough volume they probably get a reduced rate charge.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Pick up the phone and call. Quicker, easier, and more effective than complaining. If they aren't helpful in a live conservation then we'd like to hear about it.
    Ken
    TapTapTap,

Your "stop complaining" response was the most helpful compared to the other constructive and sincere responses. You should be proud of how you "helped" someone looking for answers. I don't know what I would do without individuals that really try to find appropriate solutions to someone's concerns. You are special. Thanks.

Thanks to most of you for the information about local dealers and locations in Lancaster etc. Very helpful! I will check out those businesses and see what I can find. I just might just go with Mason Jars again this year. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    TapTapTap,

Your "stop complaining" response was the most helpful compared to the other constructive and sincere responses. You should be proud of how you "helped" someone looking for answers. I don't know what I would do without individuals that really try to find appropriate solutions to someone's concerns. You are special. Thanks.
    A lot of people say I'm special. Ha, Ha.

My point, though blunt, was that you are expecting too much from a vendor's storefront website and that a call can go a long ways. I expect they would have been helpful in identifying the shipping costs or perhaps bundling the order into a single box at a lower shipping charge. Leader will also likely get you in touch with a more local distributor who might even get you a better price on a 15 box order. Our forum colleagues have great tips but I'm stressing the value a good vendor can provide but they can't go that next step if they don't know you have a concern.

In other words, I'm a little old fashion when it comes to business relationships. Sure, I sometimes shop on Amazon but I like to buy direct and involve personal relationships.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Maple Hollow always said it would be on you bill after shipping. I guess this was because they used more than one shipper and your cost depended on who they got the lowest price from.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread