Thread: 2021 USDA Crop Report

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Ken

It would also be nice to see that these extraordinarily large operations are funded appropriately and that they do not slander the product of hard working smaller operations like yours.

Please take the time to read the first item in the cache on the following search link. Its an article by the NY Times ( another supporter of the hard working poor man ) back in 2013 about Crown Maple when it started up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ny+t...4dUDCA4&uact=5

This is my favorite sentence in the article.

It pours with a languor more like that of honey, and tastes softer and richer than the “pure maple syrup” sold in most supermarkets (even the stuff in the nice leaf-shaped bottles).

The New York times ... saying F the working man once again.

Rob
    Rob,
    Thanks for sharing the article - very funny. I see from their website that they sell gallons for $76.50 (under a special promotion)! I'll bet they don't have many customers in Vermont. It's also surprising that their product line is on the dark end of grades. Very dark looks like chocolate syrup in the image and it includes the following description:

"Deeply caramelized flavors and aromas of molasses, crème brûleè, espresso, and cocoa beans with hints of clove, allspice, and anise, make Crown Maple Very Dark Color Strong Taste organic, pure maple syrup the most full-bodied syrup in our line. Complex and packed with flavor, this is our most assertive syrup with the strongest maple impact. This is Grade A, 100% Pure, Certified Organic, Kosher.

I guess if I made my syrup more "assertive" then I could charge more!

Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 07-03-2021 at 04:25 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/