+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 USDA Crop Report

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Ken

It would also be nice to see that these extraordinarily large operations are funded appropriately and that they do not slander the product of hard working smaller operations like yours.

Please take the time to read the first item in the cache on the following search link. Its an article by the NY Times ( another supporter of the hard working poor man ) back in 2013 about Crown Maple when it started up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ny+t...4dUDCA4&uact=5

This is my favorite sentence in the article.

It pours with a languor more like that of honey, and tastes softer and richer than the “pure maple syrup” sold in most supermarkets (even the stuff in the nice leaf-shaped bottles).

The New York times ... saying F the working man once again.

Rob
    Rob,
    Thanks for sharing the article - very funny. I see from their website that they sell gallons for $76.50 (under a special promotion)! I'll bet they don't have many customers in Vermont. It's also surprising that their product line is on the dark end of grades. Very dark looks like chocolate syrup in the image and it includes the following description:

"Deeply caramelized flavors and aromas of molasses, crème brûleè, espresso, and cocoa beans with hints of clove, allspice, and anise, make Crown Maple Very Dark Color Strong Taste organic, pure maple syrup the most full-bodied syrup in our line. Complex and packed with flavor, this is our most assertive syrup with the strongest maple impact. This is Grade A, 100% Pure, Certified Organic, Kosher.

I guess if I made my syrup more "assertive" then I could charge more!

Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 07-03-2021 at 04:25 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I see from their website that they sell gallons for $76.50 (under a special promotion)! It's also surprising that their product line is on the dark end of grades. Very dark looks like chocolate syrup in the image and it includes the following description:

"Deeply caramelized flavors and aromas of molasses, crème brûleè, espresso, and cocoa beans with hints of clove, allspice, and anise, make Crown Maple Very Dark Color Strong Taste organic, pure maple syrup the most full-bodied syrup in our line. Complex and packed with flavor, this is our most assertive syrup with the strongest maple impact. This is Grade A, 100% Pure, Certified Organic, Kosher.

I guess if I made my syrup more "assertive" then I could charge more!

Ken
    That is a brilliant marketing tactic. Omaha Steak does it too, the have burger with little fat therefore it has little taste so they raised the price and called it steak burger. I did it one time too, years ago. I was selling a piece of land (no realtor) and didn't get any offers so I raised the price 50% and sold it in the first day. I added nothing to the deal, just made more profit.

Try it. Usually all it takes is a creative way to describe a product. Any one of us could sell our darkest syrup for a higher price by convincing the buyer that it is special. Personally, I prefer the darker syrups so when I am talking to customers, I tell them that and why: most of the time, the customer will pick up a bottle of dark and buy it then call and ask if I have more.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Ken

What gripes me the most about the issue you pointed out in Sandgate is the foundation behind the operation. Not what they report or don't report when and where. Of course I as 12 gallon per year producer may not have the need for that information like you do or others do.

And of course everybody likes to claim their Syrup is the best and everybody else's is garbage or inferior. I condone that piece of naturalism.

If you had enough money to get the New York Times to "wrong" ( not write ) an article, sweet talking your syrup and trash talking everybody else's you could charge more for your syrup too.

If you had enough money to get high ranking state political figures to jump in and pay for your sugaring operation that would help the process too.

Why should New York State Tax payers have paid for his equipment so that he pays no taxes on his 800 acres of land? Let him do that if he wants a sugar shack to name after his daughters and pay no taxes on his land.

If the state wants to help anybody they should help "Real" ( people that are doing it for their livelihood ) sugar makers in the surrounding area. Give them the money to buy milk trucks to cart the sap off his land and make sugar on their property if he wants the state to pay for his tax break on his land. Such that they can profit from it and pay their employees.

Oh, he is getting the money so that he can create 30 jobs ( minimum wage ) and a tourist destination, that is F'n closed to the public just 2 or 3 years after opening. I wonder what that ( 30 jobs created ) has dropped too.

No I don't hate rich people, and I am not a fan of Bernie Sanders philosophy, but my sentiment is the government should let rich people take care of themselves. Especially if that government walks a different talk!

Rob
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12