+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screaning sugar

Default Screaning sugar

I'm looking to make a large screener/sive for maple sugar. Thinking about buying a piece of perforated stainless with 1/16" or 1/8" holes. Will 1/8" holes be too big?

It depends upon your process and the texture of the sugar you want. For fine granulated 1/8" is probably a bit too big and 1/16" is probably good.

I use a fine sieve about 1/16" mesh and that makes a consistent fine granulated. I also use two larger sieves for screening larger chunks which I also sell.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I typically get a finer sugar and grind up any clumps that I get. I tried selling the clumps but didn't go over that well. Thanks for the response.

I don't have much trouble with chunks. I boil to 260 and mix in commercial mixer until outside of bowl is cool enough to touch. Use only finished syrup that has been properly filtered, and don't make it on humid days. If I do have a few chunks, I can break them up with a potato masher or screen them out with a large kitchen sieve and put them into a candy batch. I make about a gallon at a time.

+ Reply to Thread