+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Syrup pump

Default Syrup pump

Hey all,
    Does anyone know of a syrup pump that can drain a drum of syrup quickly?
    I would prefer electric since i am set up that way already and dont want to listen to a compressor.
    And by quickly i mean empty a drum in a few minutes, I understand that it may be pricey and a filter press wont cut it.
    Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin, guessing it's allready filtered and your transferring it to your bottler. How about just using gravity...raise it up above and just pull a plug?
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Kevin, guessing it's allready filtered and your transferring it to your bottler. How about just using gravity...raise it up above and just pull a plug?
    John,
    I do alot of transferring from drum to drum, and back again. (I get bored easily). 40 gallon drums are to heavy to lift for the gravity as mentioned. Im setting up a new system that will hopefully allow me to continuously fill my flat pan that i use for reheating, then it goes through filter press into canner so i would need a pump on inlet and outlet side if that makes sense. Also will use pump for blending and general draining of drums.
    Kevin

I use my air diaphragm pump, but the air compressor is in my shop about 80' away. I ran a line underground when I ran the electric. The pumping speed is very temperature dependent, in summer it takes maybe 25-30 munites, in winter I have to use a heater band on the drum to warm it of pumping can take hours. I use a silicone band with a heater in it and thermostatically controlled. Just search barrel heaters and you will get lots of options, mine is a single band and is 1500 watts.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use the pump from leader https://bascommaple.com/products/dai...ffe0d460&_ss=r Works great but rember don't go above 20 psi on air pressure. It work inthe cold too just alittle slower and the air compressor don't run much!!!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

+ Reply to Thread