+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuffle controls.

Default Shuffle controls.

I’m curious if anyone else has tried this or knows why I shouldn’t try it. I’m planning to use a 4048 Shurflo pump next year to provide suction for Around 110 taps on 3/16” tubing. I plan to use a temperature sensor and controller from e Outstanding to turn the pump on at 32 degrees and off at 30. A 12 volt deep cycle battery will power everything and be charged by a 100watt solar panel.

My thought is that the pump will turn on when it warms up and turn off after it freezes and the sap has stopped, so that the pump and filter will be empty when the pump shuts off. I think that will prevent burst lines? I may add a Power to open solenoid valve to allow sap to flow into my tank if the pump fails.

I know there are more complicated ways to do this but like to keep things simple when possible. Anyone else using something like this? Thanks.
    2012 3 1/2 gallons on a block arch. 25 buckets.
    2017 44 gallons on a Homemade 2x6 arch. 170 taps all on 3/16" tubing.
    2019 62 gallons on 200 taps on 3/16” tubing.

I have tried the programmable temperature switch in the past. It worked ok, but I actually prefer a different solution now...

Is there cell or wifi service at your collection point? If so, I recommend a webcam and a smart-switch. Point the webcam at a thermometer so you can see the temperature and turn the pump on or off whenever you want from your cell phone. Added benefits are that you can point the camera at your vacuum gauge and tank to monitor their status as well. You may also be able to see the sap flow. Here is my view:

Tank-Cam.jpg

The little white rod in the background behind the releaser is a float-stick with markings for every 50 gallons in the tank.
    Last edited by jrgagne99; 05-11-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Make sure your turn-on temperature is set right. I have seen blown fuses if pump is still frozen when it tries to turns on. Or melted wires if there isn't a fuse. I set my controllers to turn on above 35 degrees. 30 degrees is a reasonable turn-off temperature. Sap is sometimes still running a little at 30 degrees so if you want to make sure lines are frozen when pump turns off it could be reduced another degree or two.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

That was my thought as well. When I used a temperature controller, I used 28F and 35F as my setpoints.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Quote Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
    That was my thought as well. When I used a temperature controller, I used 28F and 35F as my setpoints.
    I use similar temp settings at 34 on and 28 off. I also use the 4048 on 140 taps. This setup is inside an unheated sap shack and I have never had a problem with freezing creating problems. I have 110 power at the shack and use a 12 volt power source instead of the battery. The power source is plugged into a temp controller. The temp controllers are not always super accurate but you can change settings or calibrate pretty easily to get close. This setup has worked well for several years.

Other more common setups could be in an insulated cooler to reduce the harshness of the freeze on the pump.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

I did this but use 110v with transformer. Worked great. Kept it in a cooler (outside all season) to prevent any pump freezing.
    The 12v temp controllers are CHEAP. $12 for all 3.
    https://youtu.be/ni3ScN3lhZs
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Ive been using shurflos for years.

Ive never had a problem with them freezing or any tubing to burst because of freezing. They will pretty much run dry once the temperature drops and the switch turns them off if you set it correctly. the sap will freeze in the tubing and the pump will be fine. All of mine are in Black plastic containers. The sun or the radiated heat from the sky hits the box and gets it warmer before the temp probe kicks on with the air temperature.

so long story short, you are over thinking, no need to stress.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Thanks everyone. Looks like simple works for others. Will stick to my plan and see how it goes. Thanks too for figuring out shuffle just means auto correct changed Shurflo. Dang!

As I’m building my setup here I got another hairbrained idea. Anybody plumb the outlet of their Shurflo pump directly to the evaporator feed? In my case there would be a hose from the pump outlet to the heat exchanger inlet on the copper pipe around my chimney. Also a throttling valve somewhere to control the flow into my pans. This could eliminate my head tank and issues I have with that.

If I did this I would only have 1/2 gpm flow from the pump at times. Not sure if that would slow the pump down and lower vacuum in the lines? Anyone else try this? Thanks.

That approach would require you to be boiling at the same time your sap is running.... all day.... night...whenever.

The way I approached this was to have my vacuum setup feed into a small gathering tank that feeds my RO directly. I built my RO with an automatic level sensor/control system. When I get a fair amount of sap in the tank, the RO turns on. It has an auto shut off when the sap gets too low as well. The RO feeds into a smaller head tank that goes through my preheat coil to my evaporator.

Solves multiple problems for me
    (1) don't need much sap storage capacity
    (2) don't need to manually start RO and get enough concentrate built up to boil (saves time)
    (3) smaller head tank required
    (4) don't need to be boiling at all times when sap is running

I rinse the RO each night and get it primed for the next day so it can autostart again.

RO is portable/insulated/heated/automated
    https://youtu.be/9_Eq_sq6Tp0
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast