+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using sap ladder with Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pump

Default Using sap ladder with Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pump

I'm contemplating installing a few sap ladders, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they will work with a Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pump. Right now, I have one of these pumps adding vacuum to about 1000 taps, 700 of which are on 3/16 laterals. Our vacuum is typically between 20 and 25", but these pumps are low CFM pumps, and I read that hey need to be high CFM to get sap ladders to work. Does anyone have any experience using a sap ladder with a diaphragm pump?

Thanks,
    Sean
    2750 taps, mostly on 3/16
    Two Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pumps
    600 GPH RO
    14 x 4 wood fired evaporator

Everything I've heard about using sap ladders with any diaphragm pump is that they don't work.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Everything I've heard about using sap ladders with any diaphragm pump is that they don't work.
    Agreed....results are typically less than satisfactory.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    That’s not true Dave. They can work if you are able to pull good vacuum and don’t overload your system. But, they don’t work as good as having a true vacuum pump with higher CFMs to keep the flow moving faster. I have a 4008 Shurflo pump and can pull 2 lines up 9 feet over a roadway that I need to keep open to access my back lot. It is probably not quite as good as having the higher CFMs, but it does work.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    They can work if you are able to pull good vacuum and don’t overload your system.
    Yes...if you keep a really tight systems and it is not overloaded a ladder can work on a guzzler. However the OP has 1,000 taps on a double-diaphragm Guzzler. These units are rated for 800 taps...which is probably about double the amount that works well. It is not likely there is any extra CFM available to make a sap ladder (or multiple sap ladders like the OP wants to do) work well, especially on warm days when there is a lot of tree gases being released. Will it work? Yes, perhaps. Will it work well? No.

Also, because of the low CFM, the vacuum beyond the ladder will be quite low.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 05-06-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for the advice! The message is pretty clear: back to the drawing board!
    2750 taps, mostly on 3/16
    Two Guzzler double diaphragm vacuum pumps
    600 GPH RO
    14 x 4 wood fired evaporator

+ Reply to Thread