+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Volt or 110 Volt?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    At my own place, I use an old computer power supply that does the same thing.
    Ah....those old computer power supplies can come in quite handy. Just pay attention to the warning sign that says "no user serviceable parts inside." Don't ask how I know that.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Ah....those old computer power supplies can come in quite handy. Just pay attention to the warning sign that says "no user serviceable parts inside." Don't ask how I know that.
    How do you know that?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Firing up this thread with another question for those that have run both AC and DC.

My AC powered 4008 just died (new last season). I replaced with a DC because of everything I read on this thread and elsewhere on this site. I temporarily have it running off a brand new car battery with a 1A trickle charger on it. The when I turn it on the pump is almost silent (at least compared to the AC version which had a distinct hum/buzz of moderate volume). Battery measures 12.8v with the charger connected pump off, 12.5v when I turn the pump on. It only got to 32-33F today after a big freeze so tubing is still pretty much frozen, but the pump doesn't even seem like it's trying to pull anything and vac stays at zero, albeit there's no liquid in the diaphragm. It just seems too weak to me. Am I wrong and that's just how quiet the DC's are?

Huge flow coming tomorrow so I want to make sure I'm ready!
    Mark

2024 95 taps, 4040 RO build. 46 gallons syrup
    2023 51 taps on 5/16" Shurflo vacuum system; Homemade oil tank evap, Smokey Lake 2x4' Divided pan; 3x150GPD RO. 48.125 gallons syrup
    2016-2022 12 taps into buckets; 3 steam pans over cinder block arch, ~3.75gal syrup

SE Wisconsin
    43.3N

The pump will sound much different and be a little louder when it’s pulling sap. I’ve only ever run 12v pumps but you won’t get any vacuum with a dry diaphragm.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisVII View Post
    Firing up this thread with another question for those that have run both AC and DC.

My AC powered 4008 just died (new last season). I replaced with a DC because of everything I read on this thread and elsewhere on this site. I temporarily have it running off a brand new car battery with a 1A trickle charger on it. The when I turn it on the pump is almost silent (at least compared to the AC version which had a distinct hum/buzz of moderate volume). Battery measures 12.8v with the charger connected pump off, 12.5v when I turn the pump on. It only got to 32-33F today after a big freeze so tubing is still pretty much frozen, but the pump doesn't even seem like it's trying to pull anything and vac stays at zero, albeit there's no liquid in the diaphragm. It just seems too weak to me. Am I wrong and that's just how quiet the DC's are?

Huge flow coming tomorrow so I want to make sure I'm ready!
    Have you tried setting it up so that it pumps some liquid through it to see if it is even working? Sounds like maybe it’s not working.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Running fine now. Yes, I have a recirc but everything was frozen yesterday. Still amazed at how quiet this is compared to AC - it honestly sounds like it's barely on. I suppose the AC one was slowly getting louder as it was on it's way out, but still!
    Mark

2024 95 taps, 4040 RO build. 46 gallons syrup
    2023 51 taps on 5/16" Shurflo vacuum system; Homemade oil tank evap, Smokey Lake 2x4' Divided pan; 3x150GPD RO. 48.125 gallons syrup
    2016-2022 12 taps into buckets; 3 steam pans over cinder block arch, ~3.75gal syrup

SE Wisconsin
    43.3N

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12