+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Never ran tubing...Where do I even begin?

Default Never ran tubing...Where do I even begin?

I picked up access to a small sugarbush of about 50 nice sized (18-24” diameter) trees in an area of about an that I’ll be tapping next season. The area with the maples is roughly an acre and gradually rises about 30’ in elevation and the trees are spread out fairly evenly across the entire hillside.

I’d like to set up a tubing line to a tank in which I can pull up to and gravuty drain it into a tank in the bed of my pick up.

I’ve always collected using drop lines into 5 gallon pails and have no clue on where to begin with a tubing system.

My questions are:
    1. How many taps per line / lateral is recommended?
    2. How far of a distance between trees and how many zig zags between start of the line and tank is acceptable?
    3. Is a main line necessary or can I run a few 5/16 tubing laterals with a handful of taps on each into the collection tank.
    4. Would 3/16 be better than 5/16 in this situation.

I know some of this information, if not all, has been answered in numerous threads and videos. However, there seems to be so much that I have become slightly overwhelmed and indecisive about how to go about this.
    120 taps on gravity, homemade RO and a 2x3 Mason evaporatorin a shed converted to a sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    I picked up access to a small sugarbush of about 50 nice sized (18-24” diameter) trees in an area of about an that I’ll be tapping next season. The area with the maples is roughly an acre and gradually rises about 30’ in elevation and the trees are spread out fairly evenly across the entire hillside.

I’d like to set up a tubing line to a tank in which I can pull up to and gravuty drain it into a tank in the bed of my pick up.

I’ve always collected using drop lines into 5 gallon pails and have no clue on where to begin with a tubing system.

My questions are:
    1. How many taps per line / lateral is recommended?
    2. How far of a distance between trees and how many zig zags between start of the line and tank is acceptable?
    3. Is a main line necessary or can I run a few 5/16 tubing laterals with a handful of taps on each into the collection tank.
    4. Would 3/16 be better than 5/16 in this situation.

I know some of this information, if not all, has been answered in numerous threads and videos. However, there seems to be so much that I have become slightly overwhelmed and indecisive about how to go about this.
    You can really do it in a number of ways. Big question off the bat is if you want to run a vacuum pump. Even a little $60 shurflo will make a huge difference in sap volume, but it will work best if you think about that when you're setting up the tubing. My whole woods is on 3/16 and a few shurflo pumps. Knowing what I know now, I would do any expansion with all 5/16 and vacuum. There are benefits to both though.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Here in WV our CDL rep will walk our woods;gives us advice on the the best set up for maximum production, our rep does not charge for that service, but he is top notch and everyone usually buys CDL tubing and pipeline for their sugarbushes, just another possible option for you.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

The first question is if your planning on a vacuum pump. As Motowbrowne said, a small surflo pump will add production considerably.

After that a lot of what will work depends on the lay out of the sugar bush it self and your access point for the tank.

3/16 can handle 20-30 taps per lateral on a natural vacuum system. This is great however 3/16 comes with issues in the long run, with fittings clogging. When one fitting plugs, all of the trees above that tree on that line are essentially no longer producing for you. These clogs can be hard to find during season. This can be handled with intensive cleaning at the end of season and fitting replacement, however is not practical at large scale. This issue exists on all 3/16 tubing, natural vacuum or mechanical vacuum systems.

5/16 carries a general rule of "strive for five" taps per lateral on a vacuum system. It can be more expensive to install and may require a mainline in a place that 3/16 may not depending on the lay out of the sugar bush. With that being said with mechanical vacuum 5/16 will preform at the same level as 3/16, and does not have issues with fittings clogging.

5/16 seems to hold better in the woods and can handle longer distance between trees. I try to keep all of my 5/16 lines less than 150 ft in total length. This helps keep them tight, and normally allows me to stay near 5 trees per lateral.

Some equipment dealers will walk the woods with you and help with lay out.
    I do consultations and tubing installation however I am in WNY. I will be out your way for another install this summer and I can swing by and walk your woods with you if you would like.

Hope I was able to answer a few questions for you.
    owner/operator, D&B Maple
    Tubing system consultations, installs and repair
    https://www.facebook.com/DB-Maple-110587323841677

Operator, Fairbanks Maple
    6,000 tap family sugaring operation
    https://www.facebook.com/FairbanksMaple

I have had good luck with 3/16" tubing and rarely have clogging issues. I use 5/16" drops with the adaptor tees from CDL. For your first year, since you have some slope I would suggest going with a few runs of natural (gravity) vacuum on the 3/16" tubing, 30 taps or less per run. You could add a Shurflo pump another year to increase production but there is something to be said for keeping it simple (and cheap), until you are are comfortable with everything and ready to expand. There is a lot to learn your first year. I have two buddies that I helped get going this exact same way, and they both became hooked!

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I suggest Steve Childs' Tubing Notebook, A Cornell publication. Unless there was an update, I don't think 3/16 is covered in it. I like 3/16, but as others said, it has it's issues. You need to clean it well soon after the season, then it's best if you clean it again mid-late fall. Then, and not before change every fitting in the 3/16. That means every Tee and any couplings. To clean it, use calcium based chlorine, not sodium based which leaves a salt residue. Study the guidelines for 3/16 to determine if it's for you. If you do chose 3/16 I suggest you go with 5/16 taps and drop lines, then a 3/16 x 3/16 x 5/16 tee to tie each tap into the 3/16 lateral. A lateral is the tubing going from tree to tree, in series, never run 2 laterals into one, only end them at a tank or mainline.
    Laterals want to be as steep as possible, mainlines are best at 2-3% slope. That is 2-3' drop/100'. You don't need a laser, a simple hand held site level does fine. Such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/30396704559...AAAOSwGSpgfbBj
    or https://www.ebay.com/itm/37349662931...MAAOSwQ9BgTRqx
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-23-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank you all for the input. Based on the responses, I'll definitely be keeping it simple and least expensive the first year; which means avoiding the main line, support wire, etc. I'm leaning towards 3/16 line with 51/6 taps and drops. I walked the property again this morning and it looks like I'll be able to run 5 or 6 lines with between 10 and 20 taps each all down to a central collection point. If it goes well, I may add vacuum down the road.
    120 taps on gravity, homemade RO and a 2x3 Mason evaporatorin a shed converted to a sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread