+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with vacuum set-up

Bought this pump https://www.supremewatersales.com/10...-96160140.html last year on advice from someone using one. It is a slow start pump also has auto shut down for low water. Specs for it show it will run on up about 1700’ of 10 gauge wire. I plowed in about 1600’ of 10-2 direct bury. I have an amp meter at the releaser building. On start up and running I never saw this pump pull over 3.7 amps. Voltage drop from 240 to 228 when running. I set up a relay to turn electric heater in building off when pump was running. The releaser pumped 1600’ underground in 1” pipe back to sugarhouse. Price on webpage is not correct. Click button for pricing. About $600. This has 950 taps on it. I have a Lapierre single vertical for a moister trap. There were only 2 times that pump could not keep up on start up and the manual releaser dumped once each time. This system worked very well for me.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    m out there. Plenty of people are safely running pump stations a variety of ways.

Ken, what would you consider appropriate pipe for burial in this application? Anyone have any pricing for aerial or burial pipe?

Ha!

That's an excellent question, particularly for shallow slopes.

HDPE Coil Pipe: I normally think HDPE but what a pain it would be to keep coiled pipe straight on line and grade. I think you'd be best to set up with some way of tensioning the pipe while you backfill.

HDPE stick Pipe - Would eliminate the coil pipe issues but probably not a good solution because it would require electrofusion couplings ($$), or butt-fusion welds which will cause an internal lip on the pipe which is even a bigger problem for shallow slopes. There are de-burring trim tools but I don't think for small diameter pipes.

PVC - I don't like due the potential for a break due to frost heaving or freeze/break. You could have a crack and loose sap without every knowing.

Metal pipe - Is out due to cost. Although buried cement-lined ductile iron sap lines would likely be a first!

So we're back to coiled HDPE. At least you can get a 900 ft roll (no joints) but probably not at your local hardware store. And, I'd recommend a heavier wall (higher pressure rating) potable water pipe.

And - definitely use a sand bedding and backfill for at least 6 inches all around. For compaction, I'd use water jettting so that the sand gets saturated and works its way all around the pipe. Hopefully that will maintain the grade forever. Then it's smart to put a marking tape on top of the sand bedding and a tracer wire for future locating.

Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 04-22-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Bought this pump https://www.supremewatersales.com/10...-96160140.html last year on advice from someone using one. It is a slow start pump also has auto shut down for low water. Specs for it show it will run on up about 1700’ of 10 gauge wire. I plowed in about 1600’ of 10-2 direct bury. I have an amp meter at the releaser building. On start up and running I never saw this pump pull over 3.7 amps. Voltage drop from 240 to 228 when running. I set up a relay to turn electric heater in building off when pump was running. The releaser pumped 1600’ underground in 1” pipe back to sugarhouse. Price on webpage is not correct. Click button for pricing. About $600. This has 950 taps on it. I have a Lapierre single vertical for a moister trap. There were only 2 times that pump could not keep up on start up and the manual releaser dumped once each time. This system worked very well for me.
    My water well is over 600 feet deep and with a total wire length of probably closer to 700 ft. I'm sure they just put a standard 10 gauge in it. So I agree - we shouldn't get too worked up with long wires so long as the pump is made for it. But putting a couple of pumps and a 3 hp vacuum pump on a single wire is a different game altogether.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Lots of interesting ideas. I will need to talk to my electrician.
    Had never considered the coiling action of the pipe and having to deal with that.
    Other considerations could be solar and use of diaphragm pumps for some vacuum and pumping.
    More research and thought required.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123