+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those running oil fired rigs

Three years ago we built a new sugarhouse and upgraded from a Leader WSE 2x6 wood fired evaporator to a CDL Deluxe 3x10 oil fired evaporator. One of point of interest was much like yours...can/should we run off road diesel over #2 heating oil.

First stop was the propane supplier I used to inquire about differences between the Off Road Diesel Fuel and Heating Oil because they sold all three products. The first answer was due to Vermont's regulations on heating oil there is little difference between that and Diesel. Apparently NH has different heating oil standards.

We have a tractor and excavator we would like to be able to pump fuel into from the same tank. It would allow for better rotation of fuel.

Why not ask CDL...We were told the evaporator runs on heating oil. We talked about the differences and it was still logical that off road diesel would work. However it would be more expensive in some cases. I did read somewhere it does not provide 100% the BTUs heating oil provides, but the difference is minimal.

We have used off road diesel for the last three years. Last year there was a brief discussion to switch when heating oil costs dropped as we had not hook up our fuel pump to the tank. We stayed with the off road.

We had our evaporator tuned this past year and there were a couple minor adjustments but it was running well.

We used our 600 gph RO this year for the first time and it cut the fuel usage by a little more than half and we made 176 gallons compared to last years 118 gallons.

We have a 330 gallon fuel tank with pipe run under the slab in conduit to our evaporator. We have the parts and need to find the time to add the fill rite fuel pump to the tank. In the meantime we are still filling from 2 55 gallon drums which we can also use to refill the primary tank in an emergency.

One more...shop around for your fuel. The first supplier, a company my Dad has been with since 1985, charged us X Dollars (I don't recall). Then we needed to refuel mid season. It was MUCH cheaper at the pump, but a pain to pump from the 2 tanks to fill it. This year we found another supplier whose price is the same as the pump price delivered. I am sure if we were bigger users the price would be less.

I would recommend off road diesel fuel and make sure you have the rig tuned by a competent evaporator technician, not just an oil tech. I believe the firing goals are slightly different.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Mike - what kind of evaporation rate are you getting? We are looking at either a 2.5x8 or a 3x10 deluxe. Like you we thought burning off road diesel would streamline refueling the farm equipment.
    Belle Hollow Syrup
    Canaseraga, NY

375 Taps
    Smoky Lake Hybrid 2x4
    100 GPH RO
    Oil barrel Arch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12