+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Measuring sap volume

Default Measuring sap volume

Does someone have a link for a flowmeter well suited to maple. It would need to measure high volume - thousands of gallons at a time - but at low pressures. Ideally it could measure on a gravity dump line without restricting the flow too much.

Have you looked into ultra sonic flow meters? I am a little surprised the maple industry has not gone that route already because most flow meters sold in this industry are not food grade rated. They would not restrict the pipe at all

Google gpi flowmeters (great plains industries). We've had one for eight years now. It is accurate, never had to change the batteries, and has recorded 2.5 million gallons of sap

Quote Originally Posted by Walling's Maple Syrup View Post
    Google gpi flowmeters (great plains industries). We've had one for eight years now. It is accurate, never had to change the batteries, and has recorded 2.5 million gallons of sap
    I second this, incredibly accurate meters. pricey, but worth it if you're buying sap.have tried a bunch of others, these work the best, going on 6 years now.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

Thanks for this tip. This is one I found in a quick search. The lowest rate is 3 gpm (or 180 gph). I sometimes drop below this on my RO with late season sap or when I'm squeezing it tighter. Do you put this on the sap line to your RO or somewhere else in the process? Actually, now that I think about it, I just started recirculating instead of doing a separate pass first. I'm not sure where I would put it now., but I'd love to have amore accurate way of measuring sap.

https://www.jmesales.com/gpi-01n-ser...0aAkvuEALw_wcB
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    Thanks for this tip. This is one I found in a quick search. The lowest rate is 3 gpm (or 180 gph). I sometimes drop below this on my RO with late season sap or when I'm squeezing it tighter. Do you put this on the sap line to your RO or somewhere else in the process? Actually, now that I think about it, I just started recirculating instead of doing a separate pass first. I'm not sure where I would put it now., but I'd love to have amore accurate way of measuring sap.

The only practical use for a flow meter would seem to be if you're selling/buying sap, particularly if you're drawing off from an enclosed tank where measuring volume is a challenge.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post

I don’t see where it says it’s for potable water.....
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread