+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can preservative be added??

Default Can preservative be added??

When i was finished for the season i rinsed my r.o. unit with permeate for while then i did a soap wash and again rinsed for 5 mins then did an acid wash then rinsed with permeate...did another soap wash then flushed with permeate for about an hr...im ready to put the membranes in my pvc pipe and fill with permeate then store in my cold room...is it too later to add so preservative to the permeate or is it ok the way it is...thx for your time...

I suggest you mix in the preservative. My method would be to add it to the wash tank and circulate it thru the membrane(s) for 5 minutes. Then shut the RO off. Now, if you want to store the membrane(s) in PVC containers, remove them from the RO, and place in the PVC tubes, then top off the level in the container to about 1" low and close, then in a few days, open the tube, top off the mixture (from the wash tank) again to be about 1" low, close and store until next year. Then drain the RO wash tank, pump and all parts that have liquid in them and then prepare for next season a few days ahead of the season, put the membranes in the RO, run the before the season regimen and keep the RO from freezing. Do not use chlorinated water or hard well water.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I run 8" membranes and all I was told to do is take membrane from high pressure vessel after washing, mix up preservative according to instructions and just pour 1 quart over top of membrane so it runs down thru then seal canister and wait to next year. Never had and trouble in over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by upsmapleman View Post
    I run 8" membranes and all I was told to do is take membrane from high pressure vessel after washing, mix up preservative according to instructions and just pour 1 quart over top of membrane so it runs down thru then seal canister and wait to next year. Never had and trouble in over 20 years.
    I was doing the same thing until a couple years ago. Now I just to the last rinse, close all the valves and let the membranes sit in permeate until next year.

I don't like to heat my ro room for 3 or 4 months so I put them in canisters and store in a heated place in winter and put in when its time to use them.

So I notice some folks store the membrane in the refrigerator after the final year end rinse and some don't. Does it matter? I hadn't planned on doing that as it's not part of the process in my manual.

Quote Originally Posted by upsmapleman View Post
    I don't like to heat my ro room for 3 or 4 months so I put them in canisters and store in a heated place in winter and put in when its time to use them.
    Totally understood. That was the reasoning previously for me as well. When I went to 16 inch posts the weight of those changed my mind very fast (friendly to get rid of water not friendly to handle).

+ Reply to Thread