+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top line size

Default Top line size

Can top (dry) line be different size than bottom (wet) line? For
    Example of I have 1.5 inch on bottom is 1” ok for top line?

Yes but generally your dry line is a larger diameter than your wet line. Might want to check out the Cornell Book on vacuum to make sure you have things sized correctly. Or provide some of the bush info to get opinions from others on what the sizing should be.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I agree, I've seen a few where the top is the same size as the bottom, but in general the top (dry) line is 1 size larger than the bottom (wet) line.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by ldick View Post
    Can top (dry) line be different size than bottom (wet) line? For
    Example of I have 1.5 inch on bottom is 1” ok for top line?
    It could be okay, although normally the dry line is larger due to vacuum lose over how long you run it. I would try and map out what you have for lengths and where the taps are, and size accordingly

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The wet line is often smaller to reduce sap heating in the line. The dry line is often larger to carry more CFM to the pump. The advantage to making them the same size is ease in repairs (less fitting sizes to deal with).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Default Mainline

I will have about 1200 ft of mainline. All with less than 1% slope here in flat country. Not exactly sure on number of taps yet but likely between 1500 and 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by ldick View Post
    I will have about 1200 ft of mainline. All with less than 1% slope here in flat country. Not exactly sure on number of taps yet but likely between 1500 and 2000.
    Another practical reason to do the smaller pipe as wet line is due to the major sag problems you'll have with a shallow slope. Sag problems can be overwhelming (more freezing problems, longer to thaw, warmer sap when conditions are warm, surging of the flow, et cetera. And of course it looks terrible and unprofessional.

The more weight - the greater the sag between support posts. Even empty, the 1.5" weighs about 50% more than 1". Full of sap the the weight difference is about 2.5 times greater which means maybe 2.5 times the sag (I'm guessing here since catenary analysis is above my pay grade).

I'd also recommend not using black tubing. Black tubing will be warmer on sunny days - and guess what? That means even more sag!

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

We use post every 10-15 ft with high tensile wire set with laser but do still have some issues with flow.
    I’m having trouble deciphering the Cornell vacuum notebook but guessing with our slope issues 1.5 going to be required at least for part of mainline.

Without looking at it I would have guessed 1" or 1.25" for mainline. Is it just 1 mainline, 1200 ft. in length or several short mainlines? How far is it from your pump to the mainlines?
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

1 mainline. Pump and releaser right at start (less than 10 ft) of line.

+ Reply to Thread