+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Barrel stove longevity

Default Barrel stove longevity

For those of us still using barrel stoves, how long will they usually last before having to replace them. I'm guessing most of us on barrels average between 2 and 8 gallons per season.
    Thanks

I ran a homemade barrel stove on my half pint for 19 seasons. It was used a few seasons before I started with it so probably had 20-25 seasons on it. It was not terribly well built but was bricked with standard bricks. I ran it pretty hard, made 5 gallons a year average. It needed minor repairs when I sold it 6 years ago, and it is still being used by a neighbor.
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

A lot of how long a barrel stove lasts is related to off season treatment. If you leave any ashes in it, they draw moisture from the air and eat the steel, If you completely clean it out and spray or wipe it down with oil, it can last a lifetime, even used oil will protect it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It also may depend on the quality of the barrel from the start. I think the older steel barrels may have been built a little more rugged out of better quality steel than anything being produced now. But that's just a guess.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    A lot of how long a barrel stove lasts is related to off season treatment. If you leave any ashes in it, they draw moisture from the air and eat the steel, If you completely clean it out and spray or wipe it down with oil, it can last a lifetime, even used oil will protect it.
    Excellent! That's what I'll do. I might even sand it down and paint it with woodstove paint.
    Thanks folks

NhShaun is also right, the new barrels use a % of recycled steel, you might get a flaw where a car seat cover was.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread