+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Bulk Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    it only costs 10-11 cents a pound to get it east. if those 2 buyers in Wisconsin dont pony up everyone should ship it east. 20 cents more times 75 drums adds up quick.
    One of the two major buyers in WI knows the price is going to go up a sizable amount. The other is too arrogant to admit it. There's a reason a large buyer from OHIO is in WI trying to round up barrels of syrup.

There will be a lot of syrup headed east if the price doesn't match or come close to the price set in Vermont. You're telling me the price in stores went down when the measly 1.95 a pound was paid by one of the buyers in WI? AHHH no, the pockets just received more lining. They are banking on most producers not being able to hold out long enough. They'll pay more one way or another. You either pay the local producers or you pay to ship it in from Canada or out east. At this point I hope trucks start heading east about mid November so they have to send it right back and pay a premium to bring it back to the state. Its about time the tables turn.

Do the math on this. Bulk price last year in WI was roughly 22 dollars a gallon. In a Nebraska store the price of a quart from that bulk buyer was 20.99 in December of 2020. Who is really making the money? Yet every year we hear on cheesy youtube video how this is all we can pay because of the amount of syrup around blah blah blah. Oh yeah, and you wont be getting your steel drums back. They're only one time use, don't you know that?

Sounds like a good time to hold your syrup for anyone that can afford to regardless of where you live.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

A Wisconsin buyer told me most people live hand to mouth and they have to accept what I am offering. He said he was going to gain market share because he can buy syrup cheaper over here. They wait until the Bascom price comes out and then offer 10 cents less. The year of the big shortage they were offering $2.35 when Maple Grove was paying $4.00 and gave you an additional .10 to help with shipping.

Unfortunately that is true for people anywhere and not just WI. The only ones rushing to sell at 2.10 are the producers in over their heads or have made bad business deals to secure land or equipment. The producers who can afford to hold it can and will do so. I am willing to hold it along with many others in the area until the sap starts running in 2022. Syrup is a bonus income not my day to day job.

Who is the go-to company out east that will but our syrup if that is what it comes to? At this point I have tallied around 500 barrels (300,000 ish pounds) that are sitting in my area. Does anyone know how they work their barrel return and exchange? I do not have any stainless barrels but I know of a few producers that do and will want to know how the return process works.

Bascoms and Butternut are the large buyers. I don't know if maple grove is buying from many produces now or not, but they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by One tap short View Post
    Unfortunately that is true for people anywhere and not just WI. The only ones rushing to sell at 2.10 are the producers in over their heads or have made bad business deals to secure land or equipment. The producers who can afford to hold it can and will do so. I am willing to hold it along with many others in the area until the sap starts running in 2022. Syrup is a bonus income not my day to day job.

Who is the go-to company out east that will but our syrup if that is what it comes to? At this point I have tallied around 500 barrels (300,000 ish pounds) that are sitting in my area. Does anyone know how they work their barrel return and exchange? I do not have any stainless barrels but I know of a few producers that do and will want to know how the return process works.
    Steel usually does not come back. I do both stainless and steel. I send the steel out not expecting to get it back. The stainless costs me to get it back but not as much since it is light when empty and can be stacked. I will probably send 3 semi loads to the east this summer or fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steel usually does not come back. I do both stainless and steel. I send the steel out not expecting to get it back. The stainless costs me to get it back but not as much since it is light when empty and can be stacked. I will probably send 3 semi loads to the east this summer or fall.
    What does it normally cost per semi load? Can you fit 70 on a load?

Quote Originally Posted by ecp View Post
    Bascoms and Butternut are the large buyers. I don't know if maple grove is buying from many produces now or not, but they used to.
    Maple Grove might be buying from Canada. I got a tour once from the guy running the place but that was a while ago. I think his last name was King. They were going through 4000 gallons of syrup a day. When you get a tanker load from Canada there are no barrels to deal with, you just have to hook up a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by One tap short View Post
    What does it normally cost per semi load? Can you fit 70 on a load?
    It has been a while so I am not sure of the price now. Call Larry from L&S from Wausau, he will get it there.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-14-2021 at 01:34 PM.

L&S picked up from my place and hauled syrup back to Wisconsin a few years back. Seem like good people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast