+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Syrup

Default Pricing Syrup

Hey everyone! I am trying to figure out pricing for our maple syrup. Usually I look locally and decide pricing from there but I want to start thinking more independently and actually looking at my cost of goods.

Starting off with basic (easier) things to account for.
    * Bottles
    * Labels
    * Evaporation rate (variable I know)

On average our evaporate can evaporate 25 gallons an hour, again I know this is variable from day to day. I can figure out what our average sugar content is of our grove. Is it easy enough to say, using the rule of 86 (Our average sap concentration was 2% so that means it will take 43 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of syrup, and I can produce 1 gallon of syrup in 1.72 (43/25) hours) Numbers wise is it that easy? I know it takes a long time and more sap to actually sugar our pan. We also run an RO so I have to figure out the economics of that. But just starting off with the bare basics, am I on the right track?

Obviously this does not account firewood either. I'm just starting with the sap/evaporation portions.

If your goal is to price your syrup based on your overhead (cost of materials and value of labor) you're going to find that the larger market forces at play will make that very difficult. The market price of syrup is based on supply and demand, not your individual costs. If nearby producers can make syrup more efficiently than you, they can keep their prices down. Consumers will prefer your competitor's lower priced syrup to yours unless there is a way you can differentiate your product from something produced at a larger farm (or corporation). I would focus on what makes your product special, and then price accordingly while keeping an eye on maximizing sales.
    Last edited by ecolbeck; 02-28-2022 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelling!!!
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

You need to find out what other producers in your area are selling it for and set your prices to be competitive with them. More than likely it will cost you more to produce it than you'll be able to sell it for when you figure in an hourly wage.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    If your goal is to price your syrup based on your overhead (cost of materials and value of labor) you're going to find that the larger market forces at play will make that very difficult. The market price of syrup is based on supply and demand, not your individual costs. If nearby producers can make syrup more efficiently than you, they can keep their prices down. Consumers will prefer your competitor's lower priced syrup to yours unless there is a way you can differentiate your product from something produced at a larger farm (or corporation). I would focus on what makes your product special, and then price accordingly while keeping an eye on maximizing sales.
    Right but this doesn't answer my original question of numbers I want to see for myself what those numbers turn out to be and make a decision based on our quality of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    You need to find out what other producers in your area are selling it for and set your prices to be competitive with them. More than likely it will cost you more to produce it than you'll be able to sell it for when you figure in an hourly wage.
    Right but this doesn't answer my original question of numbers I want to see for myself what those numbers are and make my own personal choice with all the information at hand

Cornell has several maple business income calculators in Excel format that will help you analyze your expenses and pricing structure. Go here: https://blogs.cornell.edu/cornellmap...e-calculators/
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

I like this idea (enterprise budget might be the name) and I think it's a great thing to do, even if it's not the only info you use to set your price. The costs, energy, bottles, filters, and even equipment (divided by how many gallons it can produce over its service life) is pretty easy to figure out. Labor is gonna be tough to keep accurate track of though.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Russ,

I agree with you on most things except this. We sell ours for more than all others around us and sell more in volume and dollars than anyone else. I convinced one guy to raise his prices and he sold more. Producers can base their numbers offbof others production. Pay yourself and cover your costs. The price is the price.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAgain View Post
    Cornell has several maple business income calculators in Excel format that will help you analyze your expenses and pricing structure. Go here: https://blogs.cornell.edu/cornellmap...e-calculators/
    Wonderful thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kh7722 View Post
    Russ,

I agree with you on most things except this. We sell ours for more than all others around us and sell more in volume and dollars than anyone else. I convinced one guy to raise his prices and he sold more. Producers can base their numbers offbof others production. Pay yourself and cover your costs. The price is the price.

Kevin
    Exactly. We are the most expensive in our area and no one has complained about the pricing and are so impressed with our quality/flavor. If I make a premium product I can charge premium pricing. Free market

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast