+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sugar house loft joists size

You are absolutely right I did have a mathematical error there. My tank in reality is closer to 800 gallons I was just rough estimating, it sits centered on a main carrying beam so the load is spread out over the whole up stairs and easily falls under the 100 lbs per square ft that I used to figure out my beam size, a 4x8 rough sawn timber spaced 24" is roughly equal to a dimensional 2x8 spaced every 10". It is supported by 10 floor joists that sit on 4x8 sills that are supported by 6x6 verticle posts that fit together. Everyone has a different way of doing things , and i have certain seen and participated in plenty of"i would have done it this ways" in my life. thats what makes visiting other sugarhouses neat. Not trying to repeat myself but if I was the OP I just wouldn't do anything that I wasn't comfortable doing considering all factors.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 04-06-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Ken i wasn't saying that you didn't think a coupala could be offset, that wasn't my intention anyway. It's all good. Just posting a couple pics to give the opportunity some ideas. I guess I am just a little too old Fashioned, I like to think that if people put their Mind to it and study enough they can figure a way to do things on their own and do what works for them . I just feel like we live in a you can't do this or that society. I'm a can do kinda guy even if its wrong sometimes. I am sure Calvert brothers can figure out a way in the end to build a safe loft.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Late to the party here, so I only offer this for comparison. I had originally planned to put my head tank in the loft. Went another route, but anyway, the attic trusses were designed and built by a engineer at a local truss builder, not by just anyone or by an online calculator. I had acquired a small bulk tank and wanted that upstairs. Didn't know the size but the engineer wanted the exact capacity and its weight so the "load" determination could be made. So I measured a lot of water and determined it was 200 gallons. Not very big and much smaller than some of the overhead tank sizes I've seen. The load/tank was engineered to be center of the sugarhouse (it's 24' wide) and I have two sets of three married together trusses, 2x10's, on 24" centers where the that tiny tank was going to be! The tank is about 4'x4', so a total of eight trusses were going to be directly under that weight. Over engineered? Can't say but not according to them. Plenty safe? Probably. Better to be safe than sorry? Absolutely. I didn't want my roof looking like a sway back mare because of incorrect load distribution!

Steve
    Last edited by Bucket Head; 04-07-2021 at 09:04 PM.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

As you calculate the weight, factor in the wt at the highest % sugar you will RO to, not just for 2% sap, Then get a structural engineer to design it.
    I've never put a head tank in a loft, but my raised platform for my head tank outside, on my north wall was designed to hold a 415 gal milk tank. It has 4 posts, set 4' deep, on concrete pads , 1 under each leg of the tank, then the floor was just pressure treated 2x4's flat and resting on 4x4 treated lumber spaced 16"O.C.
    Don't be penny wise and pound foolish on supporting that much weight. Do it right or your widow could be all alone.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The 24 ft roof span desired by Calvert Bros can work nicely for attic trusses. That span certainly works with heavy timber rafters and dimensional lumber rafters but the length and sizes start to be costly and challenging to install without lifting equipment. I agree with Buckethead that the truss supplier will design the roof for your loads. And, I don't think there would be an extra charge for engineering since most truss suppliers custom design every order. The upcharge would be for additional trusses or heavier members. You could even transition to the rafter design over the evaporator room for a more open and traditional look. And, no posts needed in the middle of your building.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 04-09-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123