+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugar house loft joists size

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    My span is only 10 feet to the center, I have an approximate 1000 gallon tank up there , even at 8000lbs, that is only 55lbs per square foot with a 12x4 tank... there are plenty of calculators online that will help you determine what you need.

https://www.awc.org/codes-standards/...tware/spancalc

N8: I don't agree with your analysis. If you divided the 8,000 lb load for the entire area of your loft then you would need some way of transferring that load evenly to every joist and uniformly on every joist to make that assumption valid.

For that kind a weight, I would be running at least a 2x10 joists at 16" spacing. But with that kind of weight, I'd be adding extra redundancy beyond the joist calculation and beyond the joists to the entire building framing.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The real purpose of a standard ceiling joist is to hold up the ceiling, not to support an additional load placed on top of them. Many a building has been damaged by trying to support a load from them. If you want to support a load, you need to make sure the structure is in place to support it properly. Otherwise the best you can hope for is that the joists and roof will be sagging after some time....the other possibility is collapse. Make the correct assumptions based upon data, do the analysis, and build it properly.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
    Not enough information. You need to specify the span and where the weight will be (middle vs. edges vs. all over.) Suggest an online calculator, they abound.
    I was thinking of running 10x10’s down the center of the sugar house for support columns. Leaving 12ft on each side. The weight would be in the center. Support columns I was thinking every 12 feet.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Make the correct assumptions based upon data, do the analysis, and build it properly.
    I agree. And just to be clear, my back-to-back steel L5x3x3/8 framing is not a typical beam configuration. I would recommend steel beam sections over L sections mainly because the design is more straight forward.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

Quote Originally Posted by calvertbrothers View Post
    I was thinking of running 10x10’s down the center of the sugar house for support columns. Leaving 12ft on each side. The weight would be in the center. Support columns I was thinking every 12 feet.

I think you should be consulting with a structural engineer. I don't think a traditional carpenter should design this without professional help.

Also it sounds like the arch will be offset from the centerline of the sugarhouse. Are you thinking of a hood or open with a cupola? For the open option, the cupola should be directly over the rig.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

20210405_214737.jpg20210405_214742.jpg

Your coupala can be off center this is how I did mine, while it doesn't have an engineers stamp it has been up 5 years and I am pretty sure it will stand for 100 more easy. If you are not comfortable designing your building for a loads get a friend to give you a hand that has done that kind of thing quite a bit. I personally tend to over engineer things and anyone who has actually been in my sugarhouse can see that. Good luck to you with your build/design. There's always more than 1 way to skin a Cat.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Attachment 22337Attachment 22338

Your coupala can be off center this is how I did mine, while it doesn't have an engineers stamp it has been up 5 years and I am pretty sure it will stand for 100 more easy. If you are not comfortable designing your building for a loads get a friend to give you a hand that has done that kind of thing quite a bit. I personally tend to over engineer things and anyone who has actually been in my sugarhouse can see that. Good luck to you with your build/design. There's always more than 1 way to skin a Cat.
    Nate,
    I realize that I was not that clear but I did not suggest that a cupola needed to be in the center for structural reasons. I was less clear that you would want a hood if your rig wasn't directly below your cupola due to the reduced effectiveness. It appears that you have a hood and steam stack. Without a hood, steam management can be a challenge even in ideal configurations. From your photos I can also see that the roof rafters run through the cupola, which I agree with regardless of the cupola location. As for over-engineering, I agree with that thinking and I apply it constantly. From a structural perspective, I look for extra member capacity, good alignment, solid load paths to the foundation, adequate bracing for global and member stability, and redundancy in the connections. For the average person - be very wary of specialized construction (like sugarhouses) and seek professional help when working beyond your ability.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

My span is only 10 feet to the center, I have an approximate 1000 gallon tank up there , even at 8000lbs, that is only 55lbs per square foot with a 12x4 tank... there are plenty of calculators online that will help you determine what you need.

https://www.awc.org/codes-standards/...tware/spancalc
    How did you calculate these numbers? The weight of sap at 2% is 8.34 lbs. per gallon so 1000 gallons would be 8340 lbs. A 12x4 tank is 48 square feet which calculates out to 173.75 lbs. per square foot.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Attachment 22337Attachment 22338

I personally tend to over engineer things and anyone who has actually been in my sugarhouse can see that. Good luck to you with your build/design. There's always more than 1 way to skin a Cat.
    Nice interior. If I had built that I would have used a double header to receive those rafters...and joist hangers for the header, and joist hangers on the rafters where they tie into the header. That would have been over-engineered!
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    How did you calculate these numbers? The weight of sap at 2% is 8.34 lbs. per gallon so 1000 gallons would be 8340 lbs. A 12x4 tank is 48 square feet which calculates out to 173.75 lbs. per square foot.
    I was wondering about those numbers myself. An 8340 lb. tank sitting on 5, 6, or 6 rafters is going to exert a serious load. 10x10 columns mid span and the weight directly over those columns will help. But, 8340 lbs. is a little over the weight of 2 Chevy K5 Blazers sitting over your head....I think some serious thought needs to go into the design of the loft.
    Last edited by bigschuss; 04-06-2021 at 07:30 AM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast