+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From propane and pots to a new evaporator.

SRM ask them about using Northstar Leasing Company for your purchase of the pan sets. You can make a monthly lease payment at a lower cost and have what you want which will keep your wife happy. Ask for Jason Butkus at Northstar.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 gal syrup
    2021 - going for 50 bags and 50 on tubing

my 2 cents are a larger rig isn't a bad idea. That being said a Small RO is money much better spent and time saved. I'd think a 2x4 hybrid feeding it with 10% could keep up with 200 taps. Could be wrong with evaporation rates, but once you go to and RO you will not go back to Raw sap

Quote Originally Posted by ecp View Post
    my 2 cents are a larger rig isn't a bad idea. That being said a Small RO is money much better spent and time saved. I'd think a 2x4 hybrid feeding it with 10% could keep up with 200 taps. Could be wrong with evaporation rates, but once you go to and RO you will not go back to Raw sap
    Yea, I just checked the price on a better pan and it jumps about 2k. I think I'll invest in an RO system or try to make one myself. I have to build a sugar shack and will make it big enough for growth if all goes well. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you will have a busy off season. Enjoy it you'll be happy with an RO.

Plus +1 on the RO
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Just to let you know how my early years went and from what others say, it's not unusual. I started with a 2x3 flat pan in year 1, a 2x6 in year 2-5, and a 3x8 in year 6-present. I built my sugarhouse after yr 1 and used it in yr 2-present. When I built I thought I'd never out grow my 16x24 sugarhouse, I was wrong. It is crowded for sure. I often wished I had built it either 20x30 or 24x36.
    Plan ahead! In my sugarhouse I have a 3x8 evaporator, 2 chest freezers, an RO in an insulated room with a wall furnace, A filter press, a Water jacketed canner, A 2x6 finisher, a micro wave, a SS sink, a tankless water heater and a section with my solar equipment, and finally a rolling bakery multi shelf rack I use when bottling syrup. During the season, I also keep a wood rack filled with firewood. It is crowded for sure. I often drew up plans to add an addition, but life always got in the way. It would have been much easier had I built a 24x36 in the beginning and the cost per S.F. gets somewhat lower as the size increases.
    Dave Klish about 400 taps, down from much more. Retired from collecting and boiling in 2021. Mostly because of a bad hip.
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12