+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Arch parts/Cast Stack Base/etc.

Post Need Arch parts/Cast Stack Base/etc.

Howdy, We’ve been using our raised flue 3 by 10 arch for 28years now. The rectangular (ish) cast base casting has rusted and rotted through in a couple of places and cracked through to center hole on the pan side. In short it needs replacing. I am hoping someone might have a good used one out there I could purchase, or might be able to point me to where I could get one. We are going to be retinning and rebuilding the arch after the 2021 sugaring season and this is one part I am lacking at present. I may have to replace the front castings as well. Please Advise.Thank You. Tomm of Hermitage Maple.

I am sure you can find a new or used one. I found a chunk of stainless channel, cut and welded it together for a new stack base. Should be good for another 70 years. Good luck on your rebuild. I did mine 2 years ago after about 20 years of use since the last rebuild. It needed it and was worth the work. Runs good now!

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Send me measurements, width and length, I might be able to help. I have one that I took off my 3x8 Grimm arch back when I bought new pans. I wasn't savvy to the fact that Leader lies about their sizes. I had a 3x6 flue pan with a tag saying it was 3x6, and a syrup pan tagged 3x2 for 8' or 96" total length. I ordered Thor custom pans, 3x3 and 3x5, mistakenly thinking it would fit. When I set the flue pan where it had to go, the syrup pan was 1.5" too long. I measured the pans, each were exactly what I had ordered. I then had to remove the casting for the base stack and build a new one, that fit the same base stack but had less space all around the 4 sides. I made it out of 1/4" steel and angle iron. with a stack collar of 1/8" flat stock standing up. It has worked perfectly, I have the old one in like new condition leaning against a tree next to the sugarhouse. I can't help with the front. Leader does sell new air tight fronts, that might be an option.
    With the dimensions I can see if it will fit your needs. From there we can talk.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-01-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Do you still have the base collar?

I have a cast base for a 6' wide arch and I also have cast clean out doors for the back. i doubt they could be cut down through. maybe one day I can find them a home! lol
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread