+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" RO concentrate first pass?

I am taking 1.3% sap to 15-16% in my 600GPH single post machine. I recirculate starting at 300PSI and a combined flow rate of about 750 GPH It does take a while but I think it is easier on the membrane.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

When I recirculate i do it at low pressure, 300psi, but when I want to get to 15% or higher after recirculating I have to go up higher on the pressure like 425-450, I never go above 450 . That being said I think worrying about Membrane life is overblown. I have had my R.O. 4 years and it still has excellent flow rates and I have never had it professionally cleaned, I soap wash it every other use and at the end of the season I will do soap and acid washes. I have already saved enough money not having it professionally cleaned to buy a new Membrane if need be. The whole idea of the Machine is to save you time boiling, fuel boiling, and to have time to do other more important things. Any expenses incurred running your R.O. Hard if you will can easily be matched by time saved. Just my 2 cents.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12