+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring diagram for shurflo pump on solar

Default Wiring diagram for shurflo pump on solar

Going to try to run a Shurflo pump on a solar/battery system.
    I am in need of wiring drawings for using-- solar charger controller, temp sensor, and a relay, deep cycle battery and solar panel.
    I was told by someone to use a relay to turn the pump on when temp sensor calls for it. Can't remember who, or I would ask how to wire it. LOL
    I think I can wire everything except the relay. The relay has no wires just 4 pegs to attach wires too.
    Thanks all.
    Gramps

It's always advisable to use a relay instead of just a switch. If you look up the wiring diagram for the relay, they are pretty simple. If you're confident enough to wire the rest of the system then you can handle the relay part as well, have no fear. Hopefully someone comes up with a wiring diagram for you and other users trying to tackle this kind if set up. Diagrams are surely not my strong point.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

The solar controllers are pretty simple to wire, there are usually 3 pairs of terminals. 2-wires to solar panel, 2-wires to battery, 2 wires to load. Relay contacts are connected in series with pump and load output terminal to make or break the connection.

The temp sensor needs a temp controller which sets the turn-on and turn-off points. Wiring is specific to the controller so you should get the wiring info for it, but in general, 3 pairs of terminals also: 2 wires to battery, 2 wires to temp sensor, 1 or 2 wires to relay coil. The grounds might be shared.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Beerclouds View Post
    Link didn't seem to work for me.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

If you haven't bought all the components yet, Dave at Mountain Maple farm can build you a system. He is the "go to" guy for these systems.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

go to youtube and key in...off grid solar powered maple sap vacuum system in operation by bob sockochoff

I'd be interested in knowing what brand of solar/charge controller everybody uses on the solar powered Shurflo's. I've seen enough reviews about the cheaper PWM's ruining batteries to think twice about maybe just getting a better MPPT.
    Also, are there any specifics I need to know about adding a recirc line from collection tank into the Shurflo. If the sap input to the pump is via a star fitting, could I just run another 5/16" from collection tank to one of the barbs on the star fitting? Are there any adjustments required to the recirc line flow?
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

A 5/16" recirculation line will give you too much flow. So will a 3/16. Too much flow will rob vacuum from the sap line when sap is running. You could adapt down to a 1/8" or use a needle valve to throttle flow back. You just want enough to pull good vacuum.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Thanks for the info, Dave. So could I still hook up the recirc line with 5/16 tubing to a barb on the star fitting input and just put a needle valve somewhere on the 5/16?
    When the pump shuts off at freezing temp, does the sap in the recirc line pull the remaining sap out of the pump back into the collection tank, or will there be residual sap in the pump that freezes?
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast