+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syrup pan drawoff location

Default Syrup pan drawoff location

What’s the opinion about moving my draw off to the next chamber towards the flue pan? Obviously I would have to feed the front channel from the back channel if front pan. The wood fire seems hotter in that section. I have air under though a manifold directed up the entire length or firebox & air over with nozzles all around firebox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

I would make that change in a heartbeat if it was practical for me. My pan loves to make syrup in that spot. Not so much in the front of the pan.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I had my Thor custom made that way. It's one of a kind as far as i know. I think it works better. Makes sense to make syrup at the hottest point.
    THOR 20x68" + for 2022 Homebuilt 4-40 single post RO
    2022 180 buckets and 300 on 3/16 gravity 500L Syrup
    2021 305 Buckets and 95 on 3/16 gravity 423L Syrup
    2020 350 Buckets 375L Syrup
    2019 250 Buckets 270L Syrup

if you have trouble boiling in the front it's probably a good move. If you can boil the front pan good then drawing at
    the front is more convenient.

On my 3 X 10 Intensofire I have the reverse flow option on it and I prefer to work in the channel closes to the flue pan , I almost never go to the front it just slows down too much , I have two sets of front pans and I will stay in that channel even on a 150 gallon day and then change the pan out for the next boil and clean it. It is the hottest spot on the rig.

My Algier (predecessor to Thor) let's you make syrup in the front or rear channel of a big square syrup pan. I never use the front channel for syrup if I can avoid it. Much more pleasant and consistent to have the syrup in the hottest spot.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I also had a Thor, same side reverse. I tried to draw off at the rear draw as much as possible. I say had, I just sold it, having retired from production.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

So I don't think I've ever had an issue making syrup to early in the pan, but we were talking about this the other day. Are there other benefits to the drawoff being next to the flue pan? Syrup quality, less sand, etc.?
    Last edited by NW Ohio; 04-10-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Bought a new set of pans for my mini pro so I could draw off close to the flue pan this season. Made a big difference for me. Better boil in that section. I would recommend setting up the draw off there as well.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Quote Originally Posted by NW Ohio View Post
    So I don't think I've ever had an issue making syrup to early in the pan, but we were talking about this the other day. Are there other benefits to the drawoff being next to the flue pan? Syrup quality, less sand, etc.?
    My experience is that the front channel is cooler in general, and in particular it's sensitive to the doors being opened and closed when loading wood. For whatever reason, we'd see the syrup temp get almost to 219 and then drop a few degrees. By the time it got back to syrup, we'd have to take out 6 gallons, and then it would be a long time until our next draw. And don't even think about loading wood while drawing off. When cooking in the back channel, the temp stays much more consistent, and I'll even load the non-draw off side while the valve is open. Instead of 5-6 gallons once an hour, we can take off a couple gallons every twenty minutes. When the draws are smaller and more frequent, everything runs smoother, especially the float in the syrup pan.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast