+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 55 gallon drum hood

Default 55 gallon drum hood

Has anyone seen a hood made from a 55 gallon drum? Stainless drum split lengthwise? Thoughts?
    Marty, Sam, Henry, Jim, Brandi
    Richmond, VT

--
    2021: 49 bucket taps, 50 tubing, 8 gallons. Closed valve, burned front pan ended season early
    2022: 49 bucket taps, 50 tubing, 24 gallons. New front pan!

I have a 40 gal split lengthwise if you are interested. I made a 1/2 barrel to mount a releaser in to then dump into a vacuum tank to convert it to non vacuum. That and the vacuum tank were sold but I have the other half. You can have it for $50, pick up only.
    That being said, you can likely do just as well by making an aluminum hood. Over the years I made 3 aluminum hoods, the only SS one is the one I just sold with my evaporator. I bought it as a dented demo hood, but I can't find the dent.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have an old hot dog cart that I keep eyeing thinking it will make a nice hood one of these days. Haven't used it in 24 years and the trailer is rusted to all heck. But the stainless is still purdy.
    2024 - Starting with the 25 then more late Feb.
    2023 - 25 taps on 11 trees to focus on the process. 9 Gallons and lots of sugar sand. 35 people over for breakfast in April
    2022 - 8 x 14 sugarhouse and a steam bottler. 50 buckets! 9 Gallons syrup and 4 pounds of sugar
    2021 - 20 x 30 divided pan on a Mason arch, 34 taps and 8 gallons for family and friends to judge. Dad hooked as well.
    2020 - 2 taps, 1/2 pint on a turkey fryer, About 3/4 pint syrup in two weeks - Proof of concept!

+ Reply to Thread