+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cone prefilter hack

Default Cone prefilter hack

I use the orlon cone filter with 2-3 synthetic prefilters inside to remove most of the sugar sand from the syrup hot off the evaporator pan before it gets finished. One of the frustrations is that sugar sand plugs the fibers at the bottom of the prefilter, even though there is lots of unused filter available at the top.

Here is a very simple suggestion that works well. Simply sew a sturdy string to the bottom of the prefilter sock. When the bottom starts to plug, lift up on the string and the syrup is now filtered through the upper sides of the cone. Keep lifting and you can utilize the entire filter. If you need to, pull out the first prefilter and do the same technique with the next filter inside the cone.

Photos below shows the sequence. Replacing the filter stand is for next year, thinking a sturdy tomato cage might do it.....

F72152E0-4B79-43F9-B26A-EC8454B07DB5-2.jpg9147C289-E0CA-4893-A9E9-10885CFBF2F2-1.jpg28CB1623-A368-4AD4-AECF-A867168D0B02.jpg

Excellent idea!! Once I switched to the thick felt like cone filter, I had the clearest syrup I've ever had with zero niter in the glass bottles. For the little bit lost in the filter, it's worth it not to have to wait for it to settle, pour off the clear syrup, and reheat it all again.

That is genius! You win the filtering award this year. I will be doing this with my prefilters, heck even my filter.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by aamyotte View Post
    That is genius! You win the filtering award this year. I will be doing this with my prefilters, heck even my filter.
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ht=filter+rack

https://www.facebook.com/Sheldon-Bro...2450688676403/

https://bascommaple.com/products/fcrack
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-29-2021 at 03:10 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Originally Posted by aamyotte

As Dr. Tim points out; this is a proprietary product and may well be protected by a patent (or two)
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    As Dr. Tim points out; this is a proprietary product and may well be protected by a patent (or two)
    I am aware of the optimizer wire rack. The string trick however allows the bottom to be lifted to use up even more of the filter area than the optimizer.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Good ideas can always be improved. Add my name to the patent improvement with a spring loaded feature that as the weight of the syrup is less in the filter, the center is lifted as mentioned to move the syrup to the upper portion of the cleaner section of the filter.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread