+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on Firebrick

Default Advice on Firebrick

I insulated my home made arch with firebrick last year. I can't believe how much of a difference it made to my boil rate! All that heat going up into the pan instead of burning my legs through my pants

While I was boiling this year it worked great, but as you can see in this video. When I moved my arch back into storage I realized the mortar had all dried up and broken causing a few of my fire bricks to fall out (and the rest aren't far behind).

https://youtu.be/KJHwrUqRSMg?t=425

I did use fireplace cement made for fire brick to install everything but clearly I'm not doing it right. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to re-install them so they don't fall out? Am I going to need to add some angle iron or something to hold them against the wall?

Thanks!

there's a chance if you used just regular fireplace cement, that it isn't made for such high heat at an evaporator gets. If i recall correctly, the cement i used to do my arch with was 3000 degree or higher. i think normal fireplace cement is like 2000 degree?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

You could place a sheet of plywood on each side against the bricks and stick a brace between them to keep the bricks from being banged around when moving it, after you replace the bricks and cement them back in of course. You could also make the moving process a little less bumpy than the car jack on the pine board floor. Are you using the high temp refractory cement? Evaporator fire boxes are a lot hotter than your average wood stove. I bricked my arch in 20 degree weather outside so i couldn't use any refractory cement. So i used stainless carriage bolts and doubled up stainless fender washers/nuts to hold the bricks in place. They usually last 2 -3 seasons before they start snapping off, just make sure they are stainless if you try that.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I used fireplace cement. I'll try to look for something with a higher rating when I re-install them. I also noticed I dont think I have enough space between bricks for a good joint. Thanks for the suggestions. Good call on the wood bracing for moving as well.

Get your cement from a maple supply dealer. They will have the correct cement with the correct temperature rating.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I also noticed you placed them directly against the sides of the arch. I am just asking, but why didn't you use any ceramic blanket and then place the firebrick into the arch. And as BAP said get your refractory cement from a maple supply dealer and replace the bricks when its warm to give the cement time to cure.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Both great suggestions. I am going to re-install the brick this summer and I plan to add a layer of insulation. I've been thinking about installing an inner cube of expanded metal over a ceramic blanket to give the cement something to grab on to.

+ Reply to Thread