+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cdl 18x60 opinions

Default Cdl 18x60 opinions

Just looking for honest opinions on the cdl 18x60 drop flue unit. Wonder if there’s any issues with drawing syrup off from it and how well float reacts to level change. Thinking about selling the 18x48 combo pan that I have now and getting the 18x60 for having a divider in syrup pan and a float box. The 18x48 really struggles with back washing when it comes to making syrup.

What is backwashing?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris, I think he's referring to the problem of sweet from the front pan going into the flue pan with temperature changes during a boil and when he shuts down. If CDL makes a raised flue evaporator in that size I'd recommend getting that one and that problem would be eliminated.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I started out with a 20”x66” CDL drop flue evaporator with 1 float box and hated it. Mainly because if you had a fairly big draw of syrup, rear mounted float box did not respond fast enough to keep from burning in the front pan. Also, mine did not have a drain in the drop flue pan and it stunk trying to get all the sap out to take the pan off to clean it. I had to use a little hand pump to suck it out. My advice would be to seriously consider going to a raised flue pan evaporator. I don’t know how many taps you have but it might be worth considering a 2x6 raised flue.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have an older Dominion and Grimm Sportsman which is a very similar rig to the CDL. It does suffer from the issue of the float being slow to react to drawoffs. In fact, I will often manually push down on the float when I'm drawing off to ensure that the levels stay consistent. This is possible on my rig because the drawoff and the float are on the same side whereas they are on opposite sides on the newer Sportsman versions and the CDL.

I had the 18x48 drop flue CDL rig previously, and the Sportsman was a great upgrade. Having a float box makes the whole experience a lot easier overall. If I were shopping new, I would also strongly consider the Lapierre 18x60 raised flue rigs. They have two float boxes and an airtight firebox.
    Last edited by ecolbeck; 03-29-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread